Osprey Crescent 85

Great pack for extended trips. Places majority of…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Great pack for extended trips. Places majority of weight on the hips. Very comfortable and very durable. It is my current go to pack.

Pros

• Durable materials
  • Large capacity
  • Easy access points
  • Wet stow pocket
  • Removable day pack lid and bladder pack

Cons

• Waterproof zipper coating wears out
  • The weight distribution poles are too long for the pack
  • a bit heavy

Fit: Form fitted foam for the hips. Shoulder straps are very comfortable. I bought the pack used and did not get it re-fitted but the pack is still fantastic. I think the pack distributes a bit too much to the hips and my hips were sore for the first two days of a week-long trip. If I get the hips re-molded, I think it will solve the problem.

Comfort: Minus the hip comment above, the comfort is superior.

Capacity: I've definitely had 85L in this pack.

Organization & Accessibility: Long vertical pocket allows you to access the main compartment from top to bottom. Cinch straps keep loose things from bouncing and shifting. The lid is easy to access. The bladder is easily accessed even in a full pack.

Ride: Rides heavier on the hips (better than the shoulders)

Compression: Cinches down well. Be mindful that this is not a day trip pack at 85L, so you'll probably have trouble compressing it down on a bag of sunflower seeds and a windbreaker.

Ease of Use: The pack has two metal poles that are supposed to help distribute the weight in the pack. The poles are intended to ride behind two shallow flaps; one on each side of the pack. The poles are just too long. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the poles to stay behind the flaps like they appear in Osprey's sales pic. If not tucked in, their function is limited so I actually took a pipe cutter and cut a short length (1/2 inch) off of each pole. They fit like a charm now.

Features: Whistle on the breast strap, built-in hydration pack, removable lid, wet stow pocket, heat formed foam.

Construction and durability: I lent the pack to a young, inexperienced hiker. On our trip, he ground it against pocked basalt while crawling through crags, threw it around the campsite, spilled his crystal light on it, etc.  At one point we were descending a 40 foot palisade and he came to a point where he couldn't climb down any further with that much weight on his back. He tossed the pack down an almost vertical cliff about 20 feet and it bounced off several Geo Metro sized sharp boulders.

I finally told him how much the pack cost. He treated it like a baby from thenceforth. To my pleasure the pack came out of that whole trip with only a couple of minor knicks and one small abrasion on the water bottle pocket mesh. That's impressive.

Conditions: I bought this from a guy who said he did a world tour with it a couple of years prior.

Oh gosh, I'm imagining watching someone nonchalantly chucking your pack down the trail and off a cliff.

Great pack fits awesome! I can go snowshoe for 8 hours…

Great pack fits awesome! I can go snowshoe for 8 hours and the only thing sore with 45lbs in my pack is my legs!

Very roomy, lots of pockets and very comfortable waist belt. Would buy again and again!

This is the pack I used while guiding in Colorado…

Design: Internal
Size: 5200 ci
Max. Load Carried: 65 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'8"

This is the pack I used while guiding in Colorado for 14 weeks two consecutive summers. After multiple trips in the back country this pack has withstood harsh conditions and braved the elements. The only thing I've had to adjust was the hip belt, but fortunately they are detachable and I down sized from a medium to small belt. The fitting is awesome and the pack wears like a glove. There is plenty of space and I've carried snowshoes and ice-axes with ease. Great week long pack and one I plan on keeping for a long time!

This is a very well thought out backpack that most…

Design: Top Loading
Size: 5500
Number of Pockets: 5
Max. Load Carried: 40 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'4"

This is a very well thought out backpack that most importantly fits me like a glove. I searched for the perfect hauler for me for about a year and this one exceeded my expectations even over Arc'teryx and Gregory. It carries so well that I can't find a reason to complain even with 40 lbs on my back. The versatility of this pack is great and the customer service people at OSPREY are very nice and informative!!!

So far I am very impressed by this pack. It handles…

So far I am very impressed by this pack. It handles large loads very nicely. After having the waist belt custom molded, as well as bending the stays to fit my back, it is a perfect fit, which can be made to fit anyone. There are so many small features that make this bag perfect, such as being able to adjust the tension on the aluminum struts in order to prevent sagging at different weights.

The most suprising part of this pack though, is its ability to hold small loads. I also have a 36 liter, and a 50 liter pack, but this 85 liter pack can hold the same amount without gear shifting around. The compression is amazing and lets you carry the amount of gear that you need, large or small.

I would recommend this pack to anyone. I work at an outdoor store, and have tried on every pack you can imagine, and by far this one is the best.

I do not have any complaints about this pack. It is…

Design: top loading/side access/sleeping bag access
Size: 5200 cubic inches
Number of Pockets: 6+
Max. Load Carried: 50lbs
Height of Owner: 6'1"

I do not have any complaints about this pack. It is comfortable and I can fit whatever I need to in it. It has convienient zippers and pockets. I also love the fact the the top of the pack can be used as a large butt pack. Very well designed and built to last.

Osprey Crescent 85

The Crescent 85 has been discontinued.

The Osprey Crescent 85 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 29, 2008 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.