Bahco Laplander Folding Saw
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $20
This saw is super sharp. It seems to have been ergonomically designed. It's small enough to fit inside a day pack, but large enough to process fire wood for camping. It doesn't have a sheath.
- Replacement blade costs almost as much as buying a new saw
- No sheath
This saw is super sharp. The teeth are cut in both directions, so that it chews wood on the push AND the pull stroke. the teeth can't be sharpened, but that is pretty typical of any hand saw for camping.
It's designed for cutting wood, plastic, and bone. So far I have only used it for cutting wood, and it did a great job of cutting through a 4" thick piece of seasoned hard wood. It cut cleanly and didn't take long. I have no intentions of cutting plastic or bone, but the manufacturer states that it is designed for it.
The saw weighs 180g. It's very light.
It does not come with a sheath. It does however lock in both the opened and the closed postion. This ensures that it won't accidentally open while in your pack and damage your gear.
The blade is aprox 7 1/2" long.
The handle is rubber coated, so it felt grippy, and the it is large enough to feel comfortable in my hand. I cut some fire wood with it, and it didn't seem to tire out or hurt my hand. It has a nice weight and feel to it, and feels like some ergonomics went into planning the handle and the angle of the blade.
At MEC, the saw is listed at $17.99 and a replacement blade is $14. This seemed kind of silly, because rather than replace the blade, I think many people would be tempted to just spend the extra couple of bucks and replace the entire saw. I asked one of the workers there and she stated that it's the high quality blade that is the expensive part of the saw. That makes sense.
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $27.95
A great, lightweight handsaw to toss in your pack. It works well at cutting wood for a fire as well as clearing smaller sized blowdown from across trails.
- Agressive peg toothed blade
- Comfortable handle
- Limited to smaller sized timber
- Powder coating on blade wears over time
This saw has some terrific features that make it great for backpacking:
- It is lightweight at 6.4 ounces.
- The saw is a peg toothed design at 7 teeth per inch (TPI) which works well on seasoned or dry timber.
- It also cuts in both push and pull directions, reducing fatigue.
- The blade is powder coated to reduce friction.
- The blade locks in place with a simple push button release.
- The handle is made of Santoprene which grips well in wet and dry conditions.
- It folds down to 9 inches, that easily stows in pack side pocket.
- Overall length is 16 inches with a blade length of 7.5 inches.
I have found the saw extremely useful. I often use it on the trail to clear smaller blowdown or branches from larger logs to make them easier to cross. It also does a great job at shortening gathered wood for a fire at night. It will cut through pieces of timber 3 to 4 inches in diameter in under a minute.
The product does have limitations though:
- The saw blade is only 7.5 inches in length which reduces the size of logs you can cut with it. Not usually a problem but, I had to find something negative ;)
- The powder coating on the blade designed to reduce friction does wear off over use. I usually spray a Teflon based lubricant on the blade to keep it "slippery" when I get home from a trip.
Overall, this is a well made tool and is handy to have out in the woods.
Where to Buy
The Bahco Laplander Folding Saw is not available from the stores we monitor.
You may be able to find it new or used at one of these sites:
Retailers: Do you sell this product? List your site here.
- Cuts a variety of material, such as dry and green wood, plastic and bone
- Excellent for cutting firewood, for splitting wood and for clearing paths
Durable Construction and Aggressive Toothing
- Precision ground aggressive teeth, XT hardpoint toothing, 7 TPI, for a quick, straight and reliable cut
- High quality steel blade, made in Sweden, with black powder coating for low friction and rust prevention
- Designed for cutting in both directions, push and pull cuts
- Strong construction with a continuous curve and a non-wobbling blade for increased steadiness