Emmrod Packer Cast Pole

Weight 8 oz

A lightweight, tough as nails, fully capable pack…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

A lightweight, tough as nails, fully capable pack rod that you don't have to baby. This is easily capable of taking any fish you encounter.

Pros

• Weighs 8.3oz
  • Made of stainless 302 spring steel
  • Nearly indestructible
  • Fully capable rod

Cons

• Casts a little differently than a "normal" rod, but it's easy to get the hang of.
  • Not as much ability to manipulate a lure in the water when compared to a full size rod

I have had the Emmrod Packer for about 5 years now and absolutely love it. It makes an absolutely perfect pack rod due to its small size and very robust and durable design.

Construction:

22.5 inches long assembled, 13 in long disassembled

Made of stainless 302 spring steel

Has a standard reel seet with locking ring.

The coils or spring built into the rod give this rod a tremendous amount of power for its size. Coil options of 4-8 are available. The rod that I have is a 7 coil which is a medium action and is rated for 10-15lbs. I believe the 4 coil is 25lbs+ heavy action, 6 coil is 20lbs medium-heavy, 7 coil 10-15lbs medium, 8 coil 5-10lbs medium-light.

Only one eyelet is used to prevent loss of energy from friction, enabling you to cast further than normal with such a small rod. The single eyelet in combination with the spring provides ample casting power.

I doubt anyone could break this rod if they tried. It is truly a rugged and robust design. A fish or snagged branch certainly won't do this puppy in, a plasma cutting torch might though.

Use:

I have used the Emmrod Packer to catch a large array of fish while backpacking, canoeing, and just around town at local ponds and lakes. I caught a 14-15 lbs salmon a few years back and the rod performed flawlessly. I have caught numerous other fish ranging in sizes up to 3-4 lbs. The rod has good sensitivity, and has plenty of power for casting and fighting.

I can easily cast this rod 60-80 feet, and if conditions are favorable or I am using more weight than average I have been able to cast as far as 120-130ft.

There is a subtle difference in casting that one has to get used to, but most that I have loaned my rod to have gotten the hang of it within a few casts. Due to the rods shorter length and the way the spring loads you release the reel a little later than you would normally. Likewise, reeling in or manipulating a lure in the water is a little more challenging that a full size rod. But for the ability this rod gives you in such a small package I have found it to be the perfect pack rod.

Conclusion:

I would recommend this rod to anyone looking for a fully functional pack rod that they won't have to baby.

LOL! "And if you ignore my dog."

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks so much, Ken! Great job, as usual!

jboothmtnbkr

This thing is really neat. I'm going to have to look for one. Great write up!

rob5073

I see they have a spinning rod version. I have several of the open spinning reels and prefer them oover the closed face Zebco designs. I may have to get one of these rods. Thanks for the review.

GaryPalmer

Great review, this could be my first rod in 45 years. I haven't really fished with a pole since I was 13.

Emmrod Packer Cast Pole

The Emmrod Packer Cast Pole is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new knife/tool, check out the best reviewed current models.