Rust-Oleum NeverWet Fabric

Rust-Oleum NeverWet Fabric is a one-step, superhydrophobic,…

Price Paid: About $15

Summary

Rust-Oleum NeverWet Fabric is a one-step, superhydrophobic, water repelling treatment designed to keep items dry longer. Goes on clear and causes water to bead up and roll off treated gear.

Pros

• One-step (versus the original two-step NeverWet)
  • Clear (versus the cloudy haze of the original NeverWet)
  • Water has little chance to soak in
  • Quick and easy to apply

Cons

• Not permanent, but I'm not aware of a treatment that is

290382_1214_NWT_11oz_NeverWet_Fabric_480

I had tried the original Rust-Oleum NeverWet that comes in a two-can, two-step spray can form factor on some gear and while it worked great, it dried to an unsightly cloudy haze. Now Rust-Oleum has introduced NeverWet Fabric aimed at the outdoor furniture market. Having recently enjoyed a leaky tent on a rainy weekend trip, I decided to re-seam seal the tent and try NeverWet Fabric.

As advertised, it goes on clear with no haze and took five to ten minutes to apply to my two-person tent.  One bottle was enough to treat my tent with perhaps enough left over to treat a jacket. I applied it to the entire fly and the nylon "skirt" area of the tent itself and let it dry overnight.

I tested it with my garden hose and water immediately beads up and rolls off the tent with no opportunity to soak in.  Time will tell how long the treatment lasts.

I found it in the outdoor furniture department at Lowe's.

Thanks for the review, John. Please let us know how the NeverWet continues to hold up on your tent.

I also noticed that they sell a "Hunting and Outdoor Fabric" version. I wonder if there's any difference, or just a rebranding for consumers: http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/neverwet

John Foy

I haven't seen that version of NeverWet. I have seen a different version of NeverWet for shoes and boots. Perhaps they're simply positioning it differently so it appeals to outdoor retailers?

I had the same thought. I couldn't find any difference in their product descriptions, so it may be simply aiming them at different customers.