Outdoor Research Floodlight Jacket

Very warm, athletic cut. It's not a big Michelin Man…

Summary

Very warm, athletic cut. It's not a big Michelin Man Puffy coat. Waterproof and cuts the wind pretty well if it's not moving very fast.

Pros

• Great hood
  • Good pocket layout
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Fabric appears delicate
  • Difficult to loosen hood cords

I got this jacket to wear all winter in Missouri. The winters here are bitter cold and usually some kind of wet. When I picked it up at the store it was thinner and lighter than I expected, I couldn't imagine that it was going to be as warm as the websites touted.

The next week it got really cold and snowed so I got to test it out. I'm 6' and 215 pounds and the large fit me well, even over the beer gut that sprouted when I moved here. I can wear it over just a t-shirt down to 20 degrees and be perfectly warm, and in everything up to 15 mph winds it holds the warmth in really well. Below 20 degrees I need to wear a light fleece shirt like a Patagonia R1 or a long sleeve wool t-shirt and it's good down below zero.

The hood is my favorite part. It's big enough to fit a helmet under, but with tightening up the cords it snugs down great and moves with my head and the cords that pull it down around the face are placed inside the collar so that when it gets windy they won't whip you in the face. The outside pockets can't be very full before they start bulging but the inside mesh pockets are the main storage places that I use.

I've worn it out in freezing rain and snow and though it doesn't bead up like on a rain coat it doesn't let any moisture get to the down. I've even worn it on cold bike commuting days and it doesn't get super steamy, at least not down in the 20s. It probably would up near the 40s.

The PertexShield + appears really fragile and in the first week, I found a little rip in one of the cuffs. I don't know how or when it got there but it didn't grow past its pinhole size.  It was obviously a rip and not a burn but a small piece of Tenacious Tape sealed it right up and that's been the only problem with that. I expect to have more problems with the lining tearing or leaking down than the outside material.

If you've owned or used an Outdoor Research Floodlight Jacket, please share your experience.