Outdoor Research Trance Sweater

I agree completely with the other review - the jacket…

I agree completely with the other review - the jacket is perfect. I tried on North Face, Mt. Hardwear, Marmot, REI - all their down jackets were too stiff and puffy and left me feeling like Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story . . . "I can't put my arms down." This leaves me feeling fully mobile and unconstrained.

If I'm moving around, this keeps me warm into the teens with just a scarf and gloves, and I usually opt for my fleece if it's above freezing.

Fit: I'm 6'0, 175 and I preferred the large. I have longer arms and wanted a little more coverage on my waist.

Drawbacks: the only zippered pocket is the outside napoleon. The hand pockets are secure enough to store my gloves though.

I don't know if they still make this exact model, but def. check out the OR jackets before buying your down.

This is a fantastic lightweight down jacket. Extremely…

Fabric: Down
Fill: 700

This is a fantastic lightweight down jacket. Extremely light at only 14 oz. and packable down to a 1L water bottle size. Although this is not your typical big puffy down jacket, it is very warm and allows for a fleece or two underneath if it gets below 15-20 degrees. I am 6'1" 170lbs. and a medium fits me perfectly. The pockets are big, the elastic hems are nice and it looks good when you are walking around town. I wouldn't want to wear this when there is any precipitation but with a soft shell on top, this is the perfect package for winter hiking, skiing, camping. If you're looking for non-fleece light weight insulation that can be used all year, this is the jacket to get.

Outdoor Research Trance Sweater

The Trance Sweater has been discontinued.

The Outdoor Research Trance Sweater is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review