User Review: Ozark Trail Hiker Dome
Design: Three-season, freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: under 5 minutes
Weight: 4.5 lbs
Price Paid: $30 CDN
Anyone first attempting camping should try out this tent. For a mere $30, ample room, and only 4.5 lbs, I have truly enjoyed my outings both solo and with friends. I have used this tent in all three seasons and find it a good tent. I have had the same Ozark tent for the last two years on over 50 backpacking trips. The craftsmanship is not top-notch, and you DEFINITELY need to use 3rd party waterproofing (spray and seam-sealing) but once the tent is prep'd, it does the job.
Some key features:
1) The full mesh upper body gives plenty of ventilation
2) The rainfly provides sufficient clearance from the tent body to control condensation.
3) Rainfly extends to within 6" of ground thereby providing a double wall style.
4) freestanding dome has made this tent very easy to pickup to shake out any dirt.
The limitations of the tent:
1) Although I have endured days of hard rain, with the tent remaining leak-proof, I did experience a deluge rainstorm in which a constant trickle leak appeared in the lower corner.
2) Rainfly is mainly velcro attached to poles, in very gusty conditions, the fly will begin to let go.
3) Poles are fibreglass. Although I have yet to have one break, when in a snowfall or high winds, I keep wondering how much longer the tent will stay standing.
This is definitely not a high performance tent, but for someone who is not mountaineering or full out winter camping, this is a good shelter for a backpacker.
Where to Buy
The Ozark Trail Hiker Dome is not available from the stores we monitor.
You may want to check pricing and availability directly at these Ozark Trail retailers:
You may be able to find it new or used at one of these sites:
Retailers: Do you sell this product? List your site here.