Ozark Trail Sleeping Bag

I bought the zero degree bag and nearly froze to death.

Summary

I bought the zero degree bag and nearly froze to death. It cost me a thru hike last year. This is more like a 40 degree bag rating. Day one, night one...the zipper tore and cord in hood broke. It was 4 degrees and I nearly froze. Day 2 ...it was closer to 6 degree and I froze...I had to hike into town, replace the bag.

Not worth using as toilet paper. I could have gotten better quality from a teenager's home ec project and lighter weight.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Very heavy
  • Rating incorrect, 0 degree=40 degree
  • Zipper breaks/snags
  • Not tear resistant at all
  • Drawstrings break
  • No repellency
  • Stuff sack not duarable

I would not recommend this product to anyone unless I wanted them to freeze and get a terrible night's sleep. The bag was uncomfortable. I nearly froze to death on the trail, and craftsmanship is garbage (to put it mildly).

I was on a budget so I figured I would go with a less expensive bag. BIG MISTAKE. I got in the bag, tried to zip it and the zipper tore immediately. Day 1 use 1.

I fixed that and prayed I would be able to last the night (at least). I went to pull the drawstrings and they broke loose. I was like a frozen buritto. I exchanged it a few days later and headed back on the trail. Got out there and the zipper on the new one snagged and broke again!

It is terribly heavy for backpacking and definitely not rated correctly. If you just can't afford a better bag...DO NOT GO OUT IN COLD WEATHER OR YOU WILL REGRET IT. The only way you would sleep well in this bag is if you are under 5'5" and very slender and use it summer nights or maybe push it to early fall.

DrPhun

Yah, I saw these bags and didn't believe the rating. It seems the cheaper the bag, the more optomistic the rating. I have this 40 deg bag that I once bought because it was inexpensive and packed really small, but in fact it is sometimes not warm enough in the house. Historically, there hasn't been standardized rating of sleeping bags. There are some standards now, but only the high end manufacturers seem to use them. Even then, the actual ability of the bag seems to be very dependent on the user, and becomes less reliable with the difference from room temperature.

I purchased this sleeping bag for warm weather camping…

Design: rectangular
Fill: poly fill
Temperature Rating: 40 degrees F.
Weight: 4 lbs

I purchased this sleeping bag for warm weather camping trips at the local lake. For fifteen dollars I wasn't expecting (or needing) anything that would stand up to freezing weather. Unfortunately the workmanship was more than a little upsetting, even for that price.

Inside the sleeping bag, the manufacturer skimped on the softer inner lining, by making four inches around the interior zipper, and about two feet from the interior bottom of the bag, a rough cheaper vinyl or nylon fabric. Not only is it harsh to the touch, but noisy too. And every time you move your feet you get to hear the crinkle of the fabric on the bottom.

The zipper could use some work as well...

What bothers me the most, (and the main reason I gave it 2 stars) is that the fabric is hidden and not obvious until you get it out of the package and unzip it all of the way. If they wanted to skimp on fabric, it should have been used on the outside and bottom of the bag! Not on the interior where comfort is the main issue.

I don't mind cheap...but I don't like to purchase a product and then feel like company I just threw money at was trying to hide something from me.

My suggestions is that you go for the 20 dollar Coleman model. Five dollars more is worth it for a more stable zipper and better (and less crinkly) fabric.

I used this bag from February of 2002 to June of 2002…

Design: rectangular
Fill: 3.5 lbs polyester
Temperature Rating: 40 degrees F
Weight: about 5 lbs

I used this bag from February of 2002 to June of 2002 on the Appalachian Trail, and I still have it. The first night out it was less than 14 degrees F, and I had at least 50 nights under 40 degrees F. I can't say I was warm, but I wasn't shivering, freezing, or cold either, although I did wear 2 layers of clothing. I won't ever buy an expensive sleeping bag after carrying this cheapo, unless I can find a cheap bag that weighs a lot less.

I think the expensive bags are just marketing and overengineering, unless you are going to the arctic. You can buy an expensive bag if you think it will make you more hardcore, but I will gladly tell everyone how hardcore you are if you pay me to do so.

The sleeping bag I now use is Ozark Trail. This sleeping…

Design: rolled up rectangular
Fill: polyester / nylon
Temperature Rating: down to 35 degrees
Weight: about 3lbs.
Price Paid: under $20

The sleeping bag I now use is Ozark Trail. This sleeping bag I always sleep in @ night @ home because I like it better than a regular blanket. I even use it during the winter as well. It keeps me warm while wearing pajamas.

I notice this isn't the first review with this complaint.

I notice this isn't the first review with this complaint. The zipper broke on my warm weather bag on the second night out. Too bad too because overall I've had good luck with Ozark Trail stuff. Too bad the buyer at Walmart has gone to sleep on quality control on this product.

I cannot believe that I wasted 160 dollars on some…

I cannot believe that I wasted 160 dollars on some junk. I bought four sleeping bags for camping. By the time we got back from camping the next weekend three out of four sleeping bags had the zippers broken. I'm so disappointed with this product that I advise anyone buying sleeping bags not to even look at Ozark and buy Coleman instead.

Ozark Trail Sleeping Bag

The Ozark Trail Sleeping Bag is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new warm weather synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.