Patagonia Atom

Base Fabric 840-Denier 100% Ballistics Nylon
Lining Fabric 200-Denier 100% Polyester
Pocket Fabric Stretch-Woven 92% Nylon / 8% Spandex
Finish Deluge® DWR

The fact that I haven't seen it much since I brought…

Summary

The fact that I haven't seen it much since I brought it home says a lot.

Pros

• Just the right size pockets
  • Well balanced
  • Protects the contents well
  • Stable during skiing
  • Easily organize contents
  • Adjustible for different people
  • 427 cu in.

Cons

• Unisex? Looks too much like a purse for me to carry
  • Made in Vietnam

I don't quite remember who the bag was originally intended for, my wife or oldest daughter.  I brought it home because it looked cool and was too good of a deal to pass up.  Originally the ladies said something like, "What's that for?" and, "You bought a purse?"

"I dunno, I thought it looked useful. You want it?"

I got an uncommitted, "Oh, sure... thanks.  Just set it over there."

So it sat, unused. No one claimed it. I was disappointed. I was feeling a little like my $$ had been wasted.  It was moved a couple times to get it out of the way but largely ignored till one morning my 14-yr-old daughter took it skiing with her. I went too and I think I annoyed her asking how she was liking the bag so many times.

She liked it skiing because it held her lunch, my phone, a small thermos and any layers she had to peel. While on the lift it swung around to the front so she could ride properly and while skiing the extra belt it comes with kept it in place. A few crashes were prevented from becoming yard sales since the pack kept everything safe and secure. She says she likes the look too, ours is tan with purple accents.

From then on she pretty much adopted it. It went with her to Montana where we skied more and went on some day hikes. It even held a small handgun reeealy nicely once but that's about the only use from it I have seen for myself. Then it ended up sitting unused again and my wife started using it as a purse.  With a big family we usually carry a decent amount of junk wherever we go and this pack keeps it fairly organized.

I complained above that I can't carry it because, to me, it looks too purse-like. Maybe the problem is me. If you feel differently then go ahead and carry it. I also wish it weren't made in Vietnam but, I guess they need jobs there too and if it were made here I probably couldn't afford it. I still give it 5 stars.

So the fact that both a willowy girl and a mother of five use it with equal utility tells me that I found a hit.

Now it looks looks like a storm is brewing. The daughter wants it back. I might have to get another one, in a different color of course. And now it's not on sale anymore.

I've had one for about five years and it was just…

I've had one for about five years and it was just stolen from my car in a break-in...this is the first thing I'm replacing out of everything that was stolen because I love it so much!

I've carried it everywhere as a purse, light pack for a quick dayhike, camera bag, you name it. They're reasonably water resistant and super durable to snaggy sticks, dragging on rocks, etc. A wonderful product that looks good, feels good, and is indestructible!

I have owned this bag for over 3 years and am looking…

Height of Owner: 5'5"
Price Paid: around $70

I have owned this bag for over 3 years and am looking for a second one in the event it is ever discontinued. It is so balanced that you forget it is over your shoulder. Great construction, durability and design.

Visit Patagonia's Atom page.

The Atom Sling takes crowded streets, dusty trails and muggy subways in stride. Equal parts courier bag, backpack and carry-all, this sling bag?s teardrop shape provides the support of a backpack with a single-strap design that makes it simple to access your things?just spin it around to your chest. The large zippered main pocket has mesh and stretch-woven pockets inside (also zippered) to organize small items. A convenient zippered pocket on the shoulder strap has a soft lining to protect valuables; adjustable buckles lash any extras to the outside. Breathable 3-D spacer mesh pads the shoulder strap and back panel to wick moisture, dry quickly and increase ventilation. For biking and hiking, an integrated waistbelt keeps the pack close to your torso. Made from 450-denier 100% polyester (58% recycled), with a 450-denier 100% polyester (56% recycled) base. The lining is 200-denier 100% polyester. All fabrics have a DWR (durable water repellent) finish.

- Patagonia.com

Patagonia designed the Atom Sling Bag with a single strap and a teardrop shape that stays put whether you're hiking to a lake or commuting to class. This simple design provides a lot of convenience for you, since you can access the bag without having to take it off--just spin it around to your chest. Patagonia also added 3D spacer mesh to make the shoulder strap and back panel more comfortable and breathable. The Atom's recycled polyester is strong and light, and its DWR coating helps keep your gear dry in the face of light rainfall. It also features adjustable buckles that let you lash more items to the pack when it's full.

The Patagonia Atom Sling Pack is a great courier bag, daypack and carry-all pack. The teardrop shape provides the support of a daypack by positioning the load behind your shoulder. The single-strap design makes getting to the goods simple: Just spin it around front. The large zippered main pocket has mesh and stretch-woven pockets inside (also zippered) to organize small items. A convenient zippered pocket on the shoulder strap has a soft lining to protect valuables; adjustable buckles lash any extras to the outside. Breathable 3-D spacer mesh pads the shoulder strap and back panel to wick moisture, dry quickly and increase ventilation. For biking and hiking, a stow-away waistbelt keeps the pack close to your torso.

- CampSaver.com

Grab the 3-point Patagonia Atom Sling daypack and split! It offers the support of a daypack and the hands-free convenience of a courier bag.