Patagonia EVERlong

Weight 8.4 oz / 238 g

I've used these for about three months now and have…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Trailspace/Patagonia Giveaway)

Summary

I've used these for about three months now and have some mixed feelings. They are extremely light and comfortable and I wear them fairly often. But, for some reason my knees seem to hurt after I wear them too long during the day.

The design seems to offer a pronation where the inside of the shoe forces the ankle outwards just a bit. I don't think this is really a fault, but my knees slightly go in and I think the shoes are putting a bit of stress on them.

The one thing I'll call a con is the tread is not very aggressive and the shoes seem to slip more than I like, especially for being a "trail" running shoe.

Pros

• Breathe well
  • Good padding
  • Electric orange color is kind of cool (Go Broncos!)

Cons

• Tread could be a bit more aggressive for trails
  • Pronation causes my knees to hurt

These are one of the pairs of shoes I won here on Trailspace several months back. The other is the Patagonia Activist which I review here. I wanted to wear them for a while before reviewing them and I now have some opinions.

First, these are actually some really comfortable shoes on the feet. They are very lightweight and breathable. When I first received them, I thought the electric orange was going to be a bit too much for me, but now I think the color is kind of cool.

I'm not really much of a runner but I have worn them on the trails a few times and have a like/dislike for them. For the reasons above, I really like them. You hardly know you have shoes on. But, the tread design isn't too aggressive and they tend to slip on the scree trails we have here in Colorado.

WP_20140112_12_23_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20140112_12_22_13_Pro.jpg

As I noted in the Summary, I have slight knock knees. These shoes appear to have the inside portion of the shoe slightly raised (pronated) which forces some pressure on my knees that they are not accustomed to. The three yellow patches on the inside heel area of the shoe feels like a harder compound than the black patches, which likely sets up the pronation. I don't really fault the shoe design because this is probably OK for most people, but if I wear these for more than a few hours of walking, my knees hurt.

All in all, these are decent shoes. If I were a runner, especially a trail runner I'd rather they have more aggressive tread to ideally limit some of the slipping.

Thanks for sharing these two reviews, jbooth. I always wonder how winners fare with their prizes, so it's helpful to hear your experience with these shoes. Thanks!

For the 12,600-ft. climb up Hope Pass, the EVERlong endures with an ultralight, trail-specific design that protects without being overbuilt. The welded, air mesh upper is ultradurable and breathable, while a Dri-Lex moisture wicking, ventilated air mesh collar and tongue lining treated with Aegis Microbe Shield controls odor.

Removable, perforated EVA anatomical footbed with Aegis Microbe Shield supports, cushions and molds to the contour of your foot. Lightly cushioned heel pod for excellent hold; lightweight EVA midsole for cushioning. A 4mm drop allows for a midfoot strike and cushions for long-distance comfort. Non-woven, ultrathin insole board is lightweight and protective. Minimal sticky rubber outsole reinforces wear zones while minimizing weight.

Details

• Durable welded air mesh upper is breathable and minimizes any seam discomfort. Reflective heel logo for high visibility
  • Dri-Lex moisture wicking ventilated air mesh collar and tongue lining treated with Aegis Microbe Shield; 20% recycled EVA anatomical perforated footbed with Aegis Microbe Shield supports, cushions and molds to the contour of your foot
  • Lightly cushioned heel pod provides excellent hold without any sharp/stiff counters; 25% lighter EVA midsole for cushioning; 4mm drop allows for a midfoot strike while still providing excellent cushioning
  • Non-woven insole is lightweight and provides protection. Minimal sticky rubber outsole reinforces wear zones while minimizing weight
  • Men’s Stack Height (heel/toe): 24mm/20mm; footbed: 6mm/4mm; insole: 1mm; midsole 19mm/15mm; sole: 1.5mm web, 2mm lugs
  • Construction: Strobel
  • 238 g (8.4 oz)

Visit Patagonia's EVERlong page.

The Patagonia Everlong Trail Running Shoe endures with a minimalist, trail-specific design that protects without being overbuilt.

- CampSaver.com

The Patagonia EVERlong Trail-Running Shoes endure long climbs up mountainsides with an ultralight, trail-specific design that protects without being overbuilt.

For the 12,600-foot climb up Hope Pass, the EVERlong endures with an ultralight, trail-specific design that protects without being overbuilt. The welded, air-mesh upper is ultradurable and breathable and has a Dri-Lex(R) air-mesh collar and tongue lining. Removable, perforated EVA anatomical footbed supports, cushions and molds to the contour of your foot. Lightly cushioned heel pod for excellent hold; lightweight EVA midsole for cushioning. A 4mm drop allows for a midfoot strike and cushions for long-distance comfort. Non-woven, ultrathin insole board is lightweight and protective. Minimal sticky rubber outsole reinforces wear zones while minimizing weight.

- Patagonia.com

Patagonia Footwear designed its Men's Everlong Trail Running Shoe with minimalism in mind to keep it light on your foot so you can run long distances comfortably. Air mesh upper minimizes any discomfort with its minimal seams and maximum breathability, and Dri-Lex covers the collar and tongue to wick moisture so your foot stays dry. Patagonia added Aegis Microbe Shield to the collar, tongue, and footbed to eliminate odors so this shoe doesn't smell like your foot does after a long run. A 6mm EVA footbed provides minimal support so you can truly run the distance in total comfort, and the EVA midsole utilizes a lightly cushioned heel pod to provide excellent shock absorption switchback after switchback. The sticky rubber sole gives you the confidence you need to run over slippery surfaces without a worry. Patagonia added some reflective webbing at the heel to help keep you visible on the darker days.