Patagonia Ultralight Down Hoody

Great looking. I am 5'10" 185 lbs. 42 chest; 33 arms;…

Summary

Great looking.

Pros

• Trim fit
  • Great looking

Cons

• Cost
  • Not as warm as similar coats

I am 5'10" 185 lbs. 42 chest; 33 arms; 34 waist; 16.5 neck . I bought a Large. I can fit this over layers (shirts, sweatshirts, midweights), but it also fits under my shells (Arc Beta AR in M and Marmot Pro Tour in L). The Ultralight I found has a very trim fit, so I do not think I would have been comfortable at all with the Medium.

I bought a MHW Ghost Whisperer and this at the same time as they were both on sale. Luckily I live in the country with no neighbors because I probably looked pretty goofy going out and doing walking laps in my yard alternating between the two to see which I liked better.

My conclusion was that the Ghost Whisperer was better (warmer). The temps were about 0-5°F with a light wind and the hood with elastic stays tighter around your head and keeps you warmer. I also felt less air seep through the stitching.

I think the Patagonia is better looking and the hood is better looking just as OutdoorGearLab stated. The Pat is the better coat for around town, but the Whisperer is more effective. The Viking blue is a great color as well. I ended up sending this coat back (reluctantly).

I bought my father-in-law one as well with no hood for Christmas and he really liked it and kept it. He lives in AZ and hikes a lot. He didn't quite need the warmth I was looking for.

If you've owned or used a Patagonia Ultralight Down Hoody, please share your experience.

Patagonia Ultralight Down Hoody