Primus Alpine Power Cook HPS

I have owned this stove since June of '02 or just…

Price Paid: 94 (CND)

I have owned this stove since June of '02 or just short of five years at this point in time. I have used it an uncountable amount of times. I bought it then for $90 (CND) and have always used nothing but Primus fuel throughout its lifespan. The particular model I own is the Alpine Series Power Cook HPS 3243.

Now, for the CONS: The sharp edges of the stove arms have managed to wear into the nylon carry bag that came with the stove. In fact I have had to seam seal it to keep it intact. Regardless, it doesn't help that the parts were always too big for the carry bag. The overall weight is a claimed 6.5 oz but after weighing it myself it is actually 7.8 oz.

The PROS: This baby is powerful at 14,500 BTU and it will boil a liter of 'cold' water in just less than three minutes. At the time I purchased it, Primus claimed that it was their highest output stove they manufactured. It packs up extremely small and provides a versatile three prong stand that locks in your fuel tank for stability. The folding arms fit small and large/heavy pots without any sliding around. The original built-in piezo igniter still works as well as it did from new but can be replaced in the future if need be. I have never had a hard time lighting it but give it fair protection from the wind once lit. The stove will stay lit but the flame may singe one side of your pot, thus not completely cooking your food. Make sure you watch this powerful flame as it can work very quickly. In fact, other that using the stove in -20 (Celcius), I never actually had to turn the stove on full power. I plan on using it for many more years to come.

A compact, mini-stove for hikers that need a larger cooking surface to express their backcountry culinary skill. Fold-out pot supports expand to a wide 7-1/2"--wide enough for a large fry pan or wok; includes a Footrestâ„¢ canister-support for a stable base. Piezo igniter sparks the stove to life with the push of a button. With its hot, 14,500 BTU burner, this stove goes from your pack to a full boil in less than 4 minutes. Compact design folds-up to fit into a small baseball-size stuff sack. Valve adjusts from rapid boil to a fuel-conserving simmer. Fuel purchased separately.

Primus Alpine Power Cook HPS

The Alpine Power Cook HPS has been discontinued.

The Primus Alpine Power Cook HPS is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 21, 2007 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new compressed fuel canister stove, check out the best reviewed current models.