Primus ClassicTrail

Weight 8 oz
Dimensions 4.9 in x 4.9 in x 2.2 in
Output 2800 watt / 10000 BTU/h
Boil time 3 min

I bought this stove after doing some comparisons of…

I bought this stove after doing some comparisons of other iso/but stoves. The Classic Trail was bought for quickie weekend get-aways when weight is not important. I was initially looking into a Snow Peak Giga (which I did buy...one for me and one for my son). The snow peaks are for extended trips where every oz counts.

The Classic struck me as a very stable design with no moving parts except for the valve. The Burner also looked to offer a wide flame pattern less likely to burn-in the center of a pot. First impressions when I got it home was that it looks as if the same person that designed the M1 Abrams tank designed the stove. I could probably kick it off a cliff and it would still work.

My first use was at 6,000' feet with lows in the 30's. The stove worked very well. The 4 pot supports offer outstanding stability and wind protection. The flame adjustment is touchy until you know the sweet spots. Adjustability is limited to off, low, med and high…no in between. Boils about 2.7 min and it burns quiet.

This is a no frills stove. As a Scout Leader, I’m going to suggest this stove as the one to buy for the boys. Kids are rough on equipment and this stove can take it. Its only shortcoming is its weight at 8oz.

This stove is great, especially for the price. I have…

This stove is great, especially for the price. I have taken it on almost every backpacking trip I have been on for the past two years. It boils water for my freeze dried meals very quickly (2 minutes or so) and has a wide range of heat for different kinds of meals. No complaints.

I purchased this stove from Gear For Adventure for…

I purchased this stove from Gear For Adventure for 2-3 day trips. At first I brought along a back up multi fuel stove, Just In Case. I didn't need it. This little baby can boil, simmer and cook with no problem.

One of the other reviewers said that there were "sweet spots" on the gas control knobs. I didn't find that so with my unit. As a matter of fact I double checked it at home after the trip and found it smooth as can be.

It is a great companion to the Primus Alpine Light, another purchase from Gear for Adventure, which I have found is a really good resource when it comes to accurate descriptions and great prices. Heck they take PayPal!
Happy Trails!

Great stove for the beginning backpacker and weekend…

Summary

Great stove for the beginning backpacker and weekend warrior! I have several backpacking stoves but I keep going back to the Classic Trail because of the reliability and ease of use.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Boils water in approx. 3 minutes

Cons

• A bit heavy for the weight-minded hiker

I stumbled upon this neat little stove online and the first thing I noticed was the amazing price compared to other stoves on the market. I had been thinking about a stove I could use for just grab-and-go weekend trips and nights on the river where ultra-light wasn't a concern.

The stove comes in two separate pieces in a decent drawstring bag that makes it convenient to stow. I feel that it is one of the easiest stoves to operate on the market and the output is remarkable.

The first time I used this stove was on a hunting trip and we used it as an additional source for cooking next to our Coleman multi fuel. Everyone in the hunting party was impressed with how quickly it boiled water and the simple setup. I was able to boil water for potatoes and noodles in approximately 3 minutes in sheltered conditions.

One of the nicest features is the large pot stand. When I take this stove in the backcountry I am not concerned about my cook pot dumping or upsetting the stove. I would consider it one of the safest stoves on the market.

I have passed up more high dollar stoves in my gear inventory and taken this little gem to places such as Patagonia, backpacking in the Mojave, canoeing, river rafting and hunting. It is not only for the budget-minded, it is for anyone that enjoys simplicity and downright usefulness.

Handy little stove that does the job. Packs easily…

Summary

Handy little stove that does the job. Packs easily and works effortlessly.

Pros

• Price
  • Ease of use

Cons

• Bit heavier than I wanted, but the price offsets that.

Just picked up a Primus trail stove classic. Very simple to use and very straightforward stove.

Didn't use it in very high wind so cannot comment how it works in that type of weather.

Used it 3 times on my last 3-day trip.

I used it at an elevation of about 5500-6000 feet and it wasn't a long wait time for water to boil. Sets up very easy and putting it away is just as simple.

All in all a very decent stove.  It was a bit heavier than the PocketRocket and SuperFly I was looking at, but for 25 bucks you cannot complain!

Great little backpacking stove. A stove of this type…

Summary

Great little backpacking stove. A stove of this type is necessary for your fast and light arsenal, or really just anyone who backpacks. Not the lightest of this type, but inexpensive and very reliable

Pros

• Weight
  • Performance
  • Simplicity

Put it on top of your canister, turn on the gas, light the gas. Cook. Eat. Repeat.  That's the name of the game here.  No more pumping, filtering, stabilizing. The canister system made famous by Jetboil remains the go-to for my fast and light system.

This goes inside of my cook set. It's small, stable, and so easy to light at high winds and high altitudes. I do recommend heavy duty "foil" to wrap around the system, then you have your own inexpensive, insulated, lightweight, Jetboil.

The stove is a little bigger than other on-the-canister stoves, but that makes it hold pots better. Less scalding fingers. I have used this on week-longs, 50-milers, snow camps and picnics.

I highly recommend this stove.

Great stove at a Killer Price. This is one of those…

Summary

Great stove at a Killer Price.

This is one of those instances where you can actually save a little money and not sacrifice on quality. My Primus has performed flawlessly up to 11K feet over its first 50 or so uses and I don't expect anything to change.

It's a solid piece of equipment that boils fast, burns evenly and, so far, has worked in a variety of conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this tough little stove.

I bought this and compared it with Pocket Rocket,…

I bought this and compared it with Pocket Rocket, SnowPeak Giga, and Coleman Peak canister stove. First, this stove is FAR more stable when it comes to holding a can or pot or pan. The stove boiled 2 cups of water 45 seconds to a minute faster than the others. (4700 feet) This stove has far better at flame control (simmering) than the others. The SnowPeak Giga and PocketRocket cool down faster (able to touch metal to put away).

In my opinion, the stability, the faster cook time, and ability to simmer makes the 3 or 4 extra ounces in weight ok with me. I like it!