User Review: Rab Latok Jacket
Price Paid: $299
I have had this shell for a couple of months and really enjoy it.
things I like:
- excellent quality, both construction and attention to detail. it does virtually all the little things very well.
- fabric is very robust - feels heavier and more substantial than any other eVent shell i have tried
- eVent - waterproof and very breathable for a shell this robust
- lots of pockets
- adjustable hood that is a nice size and shape, is easy to adjust, has a good wire in the brim, and is very easy to tuck away if you don't want a hood.
- longer than normal armpit zips allow a great deal of mechanical ventilation
things to think about:
- it runs a little narrow, i bought one size larger than i normally would
- it is a relatively short jacket, hangs just to the top of the hips.
- bottom zipper latches on the opposite side from zippers on jackets from north american companies, a minor inconvenience.
- not an ultralight product, weighs about 25 ounces, hence 8-12 ounces more than the truly light and spartan shells
- the zippers are all water resistant - initially, they feel somewhat stiff to operate. that diminishes after a little use.
i have now worn this shell in a lot of rainy weather and on a fair number of windy days, and the protection from the elements is outstanding. at the same time, between the large armpit openings and the eVent, it does very well adjusting to more temperate weather too.
i haven't owned or used anything from RAB before, and i am impressed. though i have not seen any true winter mountain weather yet, i anticipate it will be great in those conditions too.