REI Base Camp 4

I am not sure what the first reviewer is talking about.

I am not sure what the first reviewer is talking about. This is a great tent with nothing to complain about. I have also had to deal with REI customer service before about another product and I was shocked at how great their customer service was. Because of this, we always shop at REI.

We have owned this tent for a couple of years.  We have used it in the spring, summer, and fall.  It holds up perfectly even in the rain or snow.

It is very easy to setup and it is a very roomy tent.  It is very durable. We have used it dozens and dozens of times and it still looks new.

This is the best base camp tent we have ever owned!  I would highly recommend it.

Just completed a 20 day, 6,000 mi. camping tour and…

Design: three-season, freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Very easy

Just completed a 20 day, 6,000 mi. camping tour and encountered all weather conditions other than snow from 60 mph winds in the Badlands to thunderstorms and heavy rain in the Rockies. The REI Base Camp 4 performed flawlessly.

Barely vibrated in the wind (using guylines), no leaks in the rain, plenty of ventilation in the hot, humid Great Plaines. Tall enough at 5 ft. to set up a camp chair inside and read during the rainstorms. Very easy set-up. Everything fits easily in the bag provided. I really like this tent.

I would suggest, though, that the tent will really only accomodate two adults unless you are all very close friends. It will only accomodate two twin-size air mattresses.

I bought this tent before a trip up to Black Rock…

Design: 4-person freestanding rectangular footprint
Ease of Setup: Simple for 2, Doable for one
Weight: 17 lbs

I bought this tent before a trip up to Black Rock Mountain State Park (GA). I was looking for a car-camping tent that would hold two people + gear comfortably and would stand up well to inclement weather. The Base Camp 4 performed admirably.

It was easy enough to set up, and can be done by one person. There was ample room for a queen size air mattress, two packs, and plenty of other random gear. The large front vestibule was a godsend. It stormed all weekend, and not so much as a drop made it into the tent. All the gear in the vestibule stayed dry and protected as well. After three days of rain, only the Base Camp remained 100% dry inside. The other tents (a North Face and a Eureka) both had minor leaks, although not bad. Overall I am very pleased with this purchase.

Great tent for family of three. Traded in a Taj 3,…

Price Paid: $310 + 30

Great tent for family of three. Traded in a Taj 3, which was too small. Easy set up. Kept us dry for ten days in Alaska. Lots of room for gear, good ventilation. Couldn't have been happier.

I am suprised at the prior review. I've been camping…

Design: three-season freestanding geo-dome
Ease of Setup: Average

I am suprised at the prior review. I've been camping in the Colorado Rockies for over 15 years and this is the best "family" tent I have owned. Very good construction and well designed. I could not be more pleased.

Set up initially at home in the yard -- setup is average,…

Design: four season freestanding with full rain fly
Ease of Setup: Average set-up time
Weight: 15 lbs

Set up initially at home in the yard -- setup is average, pole tips design very nice, as it does not snag on mesh sleeves. Couple days later we took it on an overnight "try-out." The tent is roomy enough. The door design makes getting in and out of the tent a bit of bother, as you have to stoop quite a bit. The storage areas on the tent wall should be used with caution. They are sewn on very tight and are very deep. Reaching to retrieve an item really put a lot of strain on the tent wall.

Rained pretty steady throughout the night. It rained in at several locations -- all of which have to do with an elastic fastener for both vestibules (a total of 8 locations). All of the fasteners acted as "wicks" and produced constant drippage into the vestibules. Needless to say, the vestibules were useless in terms of storing gear. Furthermore, you had to close both mesh windows in the doors, as the drippage would hit those and spray the sleeping gear.

And now for the kicker! We heard that REI had exceptional customer service. This was their response to our complaint: Uhhhh....hmmmm...why don't you put a tarp over it? Needless to say, REI will NEVER get our business again.