REI Flash 62 Pack

Great weekend or multi-day pack. Well made with easy…

Source: borrowed it

Summary

Great weekend or multi-day pack. Well made with easy access and just the right amount of pockets. Choice of backpackers and those looking for good priced, durable pack.

Pros

• Reasonably priced
  • Transition size (good for short or long trips)

Cons

• Not waterproof, no cover incl.

I recently borrowed this for a trip to Glacier National Park. I used it on a 4 day non-stop trip in the backcountry. It felt good on my hips, packed all I needed, and was well made.

Just to give you a picture of how I used it, here is how I packed: tent was rolled and placed vertically in the middle of the bag (no tent bag, all wrapped in body of tent), around that I stuffed my sleeping bag (20 degree) to fill in the space, around that I put clothes and Mountain House meals. All of these items are inside of a hefty garbage back.

I first put the bag inside to line the pack.  If I need to remove all of my belongs from the pack, I just lift on the garbage bag.  Also, it can double as a rain cover if needed and keeps the inside of my pack clean. On the outside vertical zipper I had snacks and those foods I would access during the day. In the top compartment I had the other items like map, toiletries, sunscreen, etc.  Another individual had the stove and fuel. I packed it maybe to 50 liters and still had room. Packing a stove and fuel would have been no problem. The 62 liter seems accurate.

I enjoyed the zipper access in the hip belts, perfect for snacks on the go. I used one Nalgene and one Platypus in each of the side pockets to access my water.  It felt well made and, when properly adjusted, felt fine on my hips, shoulders, and chest.

There were no other noteworthy or unique features.  I don't need a ridiculous amount of hoops or pockets.  This had enough and if I used trekking poles, it could have accommodated them too (at the bottom of the pack).  For those who want access to a separate compartment for your sleeping bag at the bottom of the pack, sorry, doesn't really exist. There is a zipper though to access the main compartment from the bottom.

Overall, it is well made and is generally on sale from REI. Great for that person looking to get into hiking and doesn't want to pay a fortune or have a huge 70+ liter pack.  See the picture below for reference.  It includes the items I mentioned above.

D-08-21-13-24-.jpg

Great pack but needs a few modifications. I have owned…

Price Paid: I think I paid $239.

Summary

Great pack but needs a few modifications.

Pros

• Large enough
  • Bottom access
  • Top cover
  • Bear can fits inside

Cons

• Belt slips under load
  • Top / cover non detachable
  • Hip belt pouches too small

I have owned this pack for almost two years now. I have used it a lot and pretty hard. It has been in the rain, snow, and sand.

My experience is about the same as everyone else's; the belt slips and hip belt pockets are too small. I like the pack well enough that I decided to just modify it rather than purchase a different pack. I added a second buckle to keep the hip belt from slipping and I made the top cover detachable. I have not done anything with the hip belt pockets yet though.

As to the waterproofness, I purchased a cover for a few bucks and that has worked very well.  I have sewn up a few tears and it has some battle scars.

I like the pack, it works fine for me. I can put a BV500 in it along with my tent, sleeping bag or quilt, pad, some clothes, etc.  It does good. There are probably packs I would like better however this pack is still in good condition and now that I have stopped the hip belt from slipping my comfort level is much higher. I can't justify replacing it.  Keep your load around 30 lbs or less, although I have had much more in it but I paid for that load!!

It was a good buy when I got mine and the prices are better now.

This is a very light pack with great hip and shoulder…

Summary

This is a very light pack with great hip and shoulder support for an UL backpack. Open wrap around pouch in back is great for a wet tent until you get to next camp. Back long zip pocket is good for water filter and rain gear.

Pros

• Light
  • Support
  • Well made (will not fall apart)
  • Top pouch zip in front and back
  • Strap with built-in whistle

Cons

• Not as comfortable for loads over 45+ lbs
  • Stuff from top.

I am a 5'11", 220lbs, male. Pack was very comfortable on 3-day backpack in Big Cypress National Preserve. Hip belts and shoulder straps are very comfortable. I was carrying between 30 to 35 lbs. I do switch load from hip belt to shoulder straps and back as the day goes along. I do this with all packs. Pack did not absorb the heavy overnight dew.

The capacity was accurate. Everything I needed fit. I do not like top loading packs, but I was able to pack with ease. Side straps allowed me to tighten up the pack so that my load did not shift. Top bag straps allowed me to strap down great. I did not have that top wobbly feel.

This was the second trip I made with this pack. Both trips were 3 days long. One in the Everglades and one in the mountains of West Virginia. I have only had this pack for less than a year.

This pack provides excellent load support and it comfortable…

Summary

This pack provides excellent load support and it comfortable to wear to boot. The bag holds quite a bit yet the weight is fairly light; the hip belt is good but the pockets are too small and the belt slips at higher weights.

Pros

• Good overall weight transfer
  • Nice features for the weight

Cons

• Small hip belt pockets
  • Belt slips under higher loads

I have had this pack for a few weeks now, and overall, I like the changes REI made to the Flash series.

The shortcomings are few; the pockets on the hip belt are too small and the belt itself slips at weights around 40' which I understand is the upper limit for this pack. At 30' the pack carries very well; the frame flexes nicely, and it feels good.

I train with my pack at least 3 days a week and I travel off trail mostly, and so far I like it. I think it compares nicely to the pre-2005 Osprey Aether 60. While not the lightest pack I think it is a nice compromise between an ultralight pack and a traditional pack.

If you've owned or used a REI Flash 62 Pack, please share your experience.

REI Flash 62 Pack

The REI Flash 62 Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 7, 2014 at REI.