REI Quarter Dome

I purchased this tent for a summer trip to Yellowstone…

Ease of Setup: The easiest tent ive ever set up
Weight: My Packed Weight 3lbs 14oz

I purchased this tent for a summer trip to Yellowstone and Zion. I planned on most of the time using the tent by myself, and ocasionally sharing it with a guy similar in size to me (about 5'8"). I was very impressed with the amount of room in this tent considering my pack weight for the tent was less than 4 pounds (I use titanum stakes). The vestibules held my 3700ci pack with no problem. The amount of overhang also allowed me to sit with the vestibule open during light rain, this was nice because it allowed a really nice breeze to flow thru the tent when I would normally would have been closed up under the fly. The other feature that I really liked was the fact that I could attach the fly to the tent and never take the two apart saving time.

My only complaints about the tent was that some condensation did build up on the points where the velcro held open the vents and it driped onto the mesh and then on me. Also that the to get the fly really tight you had to sinch the buckles down so much that it bent the tent poles in about 1 1/2 inches. Really no big deal for sleeping but did limit the amount of headroom.

I am extremely pleased with this tent. Two doors,…

Design: Three season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Very easy
Weight: 4.5 lb w/ground cloth, pegs, ropes, bag

I am extremely pleased with this tent. Two doors, top vent that is adjustable, good material, siliconized nylon, and light. With ground cloth, pegs, bag, poles, etc. at 4.5 lbs. Lighter than Hubba Hubba and most two-person tents. Two vestibules, both big enough to tuck a pack under. No leaks in heavy rain, and very stable in wind. I found no flaws; this is a very good tent for the money.

Bought the tent recently, and have done a single three-day…

Bought the tent recently, and have done a single three-day backpack with it. I bought the tent because it works both as a large one-person, and a tight two-person tent. I shared the tent with my son, who is 13-years-old, and only 5' tall. The only other person I would share it with is my wife, who is 5' 4". It is a narrow tent for two people, and would be desperation time for two large guys. The vestibule area only has room for small items, such as boots, but not a fullsize backpack, which is fine with me. The vestibule serves as kind of a scoop for diverting wind into the tent.

Nice feature: rain fly attaches to tent with velcro, so that you can leave it attached to the tent, which we did - speeds set up time. Tent sets up in a few minutes - 1 person or 2. Tent packs small. Tent has lots of headroom, due to bent poles at head of tent. Two large side doors is a key feature, allowing each person to go in or out on their own side. Lighter than just about any two-man tent I could find, at about 4 pounds.

I've only used it twice so far, so think of this as…

Design: three season freestanding
Ease of Setup: VERY easy
Weight: under 4 lbs

I've only used it twice so far, so think of this as an initial review. I purchased this tent from my local REI store with the extra ground sheet. My decision was heavily based on the salesperson's recommendation and what I read in a magazine.

My requirements were fairly simple. A roomy 1-person tent that was light, easy to pitch in any condition (Especially at night when it's windy), had a vestibule and good air cross flow. I own several different tents and pick the tent based on the conditions I'm going to use it in. While really needing a 1-person tent, I did want the option of the tent being just big enough to hold a second person in a jam.

Since this is a standard 3-season tent, it comes in two pieces. The main, self standing dome, with mainly mesh walls, and the second piece which is the rainfly. The shape of the floor is not perfectly rectangular. With one end being a few inches narrower. The rainfly also has one top vent which faces the wider side. The setup is very easy compared to some of my other tents. Two poles of equal length cross on top to create the space. With one end having dead end pole sleeves. There are two fairly large sized doors on both sides. Kinda cool if you have two people in the tent. One doesn't have to disturb the other in order to get in or out. The rain fly has guy out loops that are also reflective at night. The mesh dome and rainfly snap together using buckles (so no need for additional stakes).

The rainfly color is a white opaque with certain sides being a light opaque green. The entire tent with stakes seems very light (under 4 lbs) and packs small. The only thing I didn't love was the amount of space the rainfly left open underneath when staked out. The issue wasn't the stake out point, but the cut of the rainfly itself. Not a huge deal because this was for the vestibule and it was far away enough from the dome to prevent rain from hitting the mesh dome. So not really a issue, but I would have preferred a more complete coverage. Maybe REI did this on purpose for the increased airflow.

Overall a great tent. I do recommend it!