REI Quarter-Zip Fleece Pullover - Men's

This light fleece pullover is great for both cool…

Price Paid: $29.95 on 20% off sale

This light fleece pullover is great for both cool evenings at camp and as a "sleep shirt" on cool nights.

• Low sale price ($29.95)
  • REI guarantee

• No cuff elastic

I bought this light fleece pullover on the recommendation in a thread at Backpacking Light and was very happy that the pullover was exactly "as advertised" by the poster.

On a trip to Hidden Forest in Nevada's Desert Wildlife Refuge in mid May we camped at 8,000 feet. The evening was windy and cool so I needed this fleece over my long sleeved polyester shirt and  under my GTX PacLite parka.

That night I used it as a sleep shirt over a synthetic T-shirt in my overstuffed Western Mountaineering Megalite (good to 20°F.). I was comfortable with the pullover having just enough warmth to not overheat me and it was all I needed to get out of my tent for a whiz at 3 Dark Thirty.

I'd recommend this pullover for the uses I put it to and just a nice fleece for around town use in shoulder seasons as well. The fit is loose and a bit long in the sleeves which I liked. It covers half of my butt, which is also nice if I want to tuck it into my pants. No danger of "plumber's butt" with this shirt. There are no pockets to add weight. This is primarily a layering garment and as such is quite breathable.

With its zip T-neck this fleece pullover can easily substitute as a "polar weight" base layer for colder weather, say in the low teens to sub-zero. The pullover has the feel of soft high quality fleece.

Thanks for the review, 300winmag!