User Review: REI Men's Sahara Convertible Pants
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $65
The REI Sahara pants are versatile pants wearable as shorts or long pants, depending on the situation. They are pretty much what one wants in terms of usability. Unfortunately the construction is sub-par and as a result these pants should be considered "disposable" after relatively little use.
- Quick drying
- Versatile for varying conditions
- Pant material is durable
- Convenient pockets
- Poor construction
- Expensive when not on sale
- A bit awkward to install or remove the pant legs while wearing the pants
The REI Sahara Convertible Pants sold by REI are more or less exactly what the backcountry traveler needs. They are lightweight (4.1 oz for pant legs, 9.2 oz for shorts, total = 13.3 oz). The pant material is durable, and they dry quickly when they get wet. The bonus is they serve as either long pants or shorts depending on the situation.
What's the downside? They (literally) fall apart at the seams. If it weren't for this flaw I'd rate these a "5".
During (and starting early in) my 30-day trip when I first wore these pants, the following happened:
- The stitching holding the velcro onto the pocket flaps came apart
- The pockets themselves came apart. I feel very fortunate that important items (such as my wallet) did not fall out unnoticed on the trail
- The crotch seam came completely undone, resulting the backside of my underwear being displayed to numerous hikers. I hope it was clean. Oh, wait, I was hiking the JMT. :)
I would recommend these pants based on their functionality if REI resolves their vendors' manufacturing issues and offers a quality-built product. I should mention that I have given them a second chance ... based on the functionality and a special sale price .. so I have a second pair which so far has stood up to 6 nights of backcountry travel.
If and when the replacement pair proves to be more durable than the first, I'll update this review with an amended score.
No image available to show the disintegration of the pockets on the inside ...