REI Summit

Sturdy, relatively inexpensive, adjustable hiking…

Price Paid: Around $70

Summary

Sturdy, relatively inexpensive, adjustable hiking poles, which are great for the beginning backpacker. Can be difficult to adjust and does not necessarily have a comfortable grip.

Pros

• Sturdy once adjusted
  • Lower price compared to other brands

Cons

• Difficult to adjust
  • Uncomfortable plastic handles
  • No shock absorbency

These were my first pair of trekking poles. Because I was a college student, price was a large factor in my decision. They are adjustable by turning a twist-lock mechanism but sometimes it gets stuck and can be hard to adjust. They came with a few different accessories or baskets that could be snapped onto the bottom, but I never used them.

The wrist straps were a good size and stayed put without any rubbing. The grip was made of hard plastic however, and could be uncomfortable at the end of a long hiking day. The traction of the poles was excellent and I never had any issues with slipping on wet terrain, even when hiking in the rain on slippery rocks. Other than the stubborn locking system, the poles were well made and lightweight.

I had them for 7 years before one of them finally met its demise. My friend was using one of my poles on the wet descent off Blood Mountain in Georgia. She slipped and the pole got caught between some rocks and snapped in half. Better the pole than one of her bones!! The remaining pole is still in great condition and I use it on a regular basis, but will be purchasing another pair in the near future so that I have a backup pole.

One of the main downfalls of these poles is that they have no shock absorbency, so if you hit them on something hard you may feel it in your arm. I have always been impressed with the quality of the REI brand gear and would consider getting their brand in the future. One feature I would look for, though, is a handle made from cork since it is much for forgiving on your hands.  I would also prefer to have trekking poles with shock absorbency and a different locking system.

1263896_10151660169646935_1113028033_o2.

Made in Austria exclusively for REI, these aluminum trekking poles sport great features. Strong three-section 7075-T6 aluminum alloy shafts extend to 55 in. and compact to 25 in. to fit in your pack. Soft rubber hand grips are comfortable and give a sure hold with wide, padded, buckle-free straps. Trekking baskets promote stability on soft terrain; baskets easily twist on and off. Rubber tip protectors extend the life of the tips, plus protect your gear when poles are stowed in your pack.

REI Summit

The Summit has been discontinued.

The REI Summit is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 2, 2009 at REI.

If you're looking for a new rigid trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.