REI XT 85 Pack

Great, durable pack for longer hikes. I would recommend…

Summary

Great, durable pack for longer hikes. I would recommend this for anybody who thinks they need an 85 pack.

Pros

• Durability
  • Weight
  • Design

Cons

• Possible hip belt problem (try it on)

Fit: There were some initial problems with the hip belt in that it failed to achieve proper purchase on my hips initially. I had to switch it out at the store for a larger hip belt though I am of average weight without much of a belly, so be wary of that. Since I bought from the store and the pack is customizable, this was no problem.

Comfort: Once operational with the proper belt, the pack was very comfortable, and on the hike where I carried the most in this pack (52 pounds) most of the weight was distributed to my hips and legs rather than shoulders. There is good placement of the adjustment straps for carrying your load that make this pack very good for hauling less stuff as well.

Capacity: I was pleased by the capacity. It easily held 52 pounds of gear for my High Sierra Trail adventure.

Organization & Accessibility: Compartment placement on this pack is great. Good mix of internal and external compartments. Partition at bottom for bag or tent is really wonderful with option of accessing lower partition through the bottom of the pack or through the inner inside.

Ride & Compression: Adjustment straps make compressing and carrying the load extremely easy. When used on shorter hikes with lighter loads I've been able to control the gear with the straps and prevent shifting.

Ease of use: Very easy to use.

Features: No fancy gimmicks.

Construction & Durability: I find the pack to be fairly durable, though I could use it more and get back to you.

Conditions: I've used this gear on about five hikes, all in fair weather conditions.

Visit REI's XT 85 Pack page.

The updated REI XT 85 pack delivers comfort, performance and user-friendly features in a size and design that accommodate anything from a 10-day wilderness expedition to a weekend jaunt.

REI XT 85 Pack

currently retails for:
MSRP: $299.00

The REI XT 85 Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 26, 2014 at REI.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.