Restop 2 for Solid Waste

Restop 2 is a solid waste disposal system ideal for…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Restop 2 is a solid waste disposal system ideal for outdoor adventures in locations where "packing it out" is a must. While heavier and more bulky than a plastic baggie, the Restop 2 ensures you won't be worrying about what's happening in your pack.

Pros

• Double baggie protection
  • Nuetralizes odors
  • Enzymes begin to neuturalize waste

Cons

• Heavier than other options
  • Bulkier than other options

Most of us know how to poop in the woods, but what about a cave or other location where burying is not an option?

Imagine this true scenario: You're a good hour from the nearest cave exit, when your 10-year-old son declares he needs to go "Number 2." It's happen to me! And as I squatted there holding my ziplock lunch baggie under my son's delicate heinie, I cursed the fact that I left a Restop 2 at home in order to carry a smaller cave pack!

2009-Sullivan-Buckners-13-.jpg

On another occasion, I received a 4 a.m. phone call from a concerned wife. Her husband's caving team was six hours overdue from checking in. I was the closest caver to them that she knew to call. Two hours later I had found three exhausted, dehydrated cavers. As I passed out water bottles, I offered to carry the pack of the most tired caver. The reply was simply, "We've been underground for 24 hours. I [defecated] in my pack a few hours ago."Ā

__________________________

The Restop 2 is a baggie on steroids. It includes toilet paper and a moist towelette. That's nice, but the thing that makes this worth buying is peace of mind. When a used baggie is in my cave pack, I'm not worrying about it breaking open and spilling its contents all over my food and gear.

While its ideal design is to be used with a portable commode, a careful caver can use it while poppin'-a-squat. To be honest, I took one star off, because this is not a pleasant task to attempt on your own. You're best bet is to have a life-long friend give you a hand.

Fortunately, I have never had to personally use this item. I have assisted my son's use of these, always reminding him that some day he better help his geriatric dad with the bedpan!

My thanks to my friend, John, who gave me a Restop some years ago as we were talking about caving with kids.

You are a good father!

FromSagetoSnow

Awesome product. Life-long friend indeed. A friend who will "hold the bag" for you is right up there with one who will help you move a body, lol! I've been using the same bags I use to clean up after my dog. I may give this a try.

Daniel Oates

Didn't even cross my mind what a person would do when caving, cheers!

second gear

Having had to use packable bags, and then having a full one fail, it's good to know about other brands...

PNW_John

Eew! Good information though. Thanks for sharing.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

I've never heard of these before, Goose. Sounds like a very useful product (in the right situation)! Nice review, too.

Lah

Wow, what a topic...but useful! And yes, your son does owe you one, but hopefully it never comes to that. :)

The RestopĀ® 2 uses a patented "bag within a bag" design to safely contain and neutralize human waste. Restop contains the odor as well as the waste. The outer bag is a Mylar gas-impervious bag. The same polymers and deodorizers used in the RS1 are inside, with a slightly different set of enzymes for solid waste. The Restop 2 system contains the odor as well as the waste, providing a user-friendly and pleasant means to pack out solid waste.

Ample toilet paper and a moist antiseptic towlette are included.

To use with a commode system, simply insert the Restop 2 into the commode bucket and fold the upper bag over the foam toilet seat (bucket and seat sold separately).

When done, the upper bag folds into the lower triple layer barrier bag which then zip locks closed for complete containment. Now the waste is safe for disposal in any trash container.

The Restop 2 by Restop uses a patented "bag within a bag" design to safely contain and neutralize human waste. Restop contains the odor as well as the waste. The outer bag is a Mylar gas-impervious bag. The same polymers and deodorizers used in the RS1 are inside, with a slightly different set of enzymes for solid waste. The Restop 2 system contains the odor as well as the waste, providing a user-friendly and pleasant means to pack out solid waste. Ample toilet paper and a moist antiseptic towlette are included.

- CampSaver.com

The Restop(R) 2 uses a patented "bag within a bag" design to safely contain and neutralize human waste and the odor that goes with it. Dispose of it in any trash container.The outer bag is a Mylar gas-impervious bag sealing in odor and containing the inner waste bag.The Restop 2 system contains the odor as well as the waste, using super absorbent polymers and enzymes that break down the waste and turn it into a safe, deodorized gel. This system provides you with a user-friendly and pleasant means to pack out solid waste. Ample toilet paper and a moist antiseptic towlette are included.How is it used? The Restop 2 is designed to be used with any commode system or can be used directly on the ground in wilderness situations. To use with a commode system, simply insert the Restop 2 into the commode bucket and fold the inner bag over the foam toilet seat (bucket and seat sold separately). When done, the innerer bag folds into the lower triple layer barrier bag which then zip locks closed for complete containment. Now the waste is safe for disposal in any trash container.One waste bag can usually hold 3-4 person's waste.Many boating areas now require you to carry out human waste. Even for those that don't, the removal of waste products protects the environment. Always check ahead with the area management agency to find out what they require for carry out systems. Always pack out used bags in a rigid, waterproof container.

- NRS

The NRS Restop 2 Disposable Bag uses a patented "bag within a bag" design to safely contain and neutralize human waste and the odor that goes with it. Dispose of it in any trash container.

- Altrec Outdoors

In an effort to leave the wilderness the way you found it and adhering to the "pack it in, pack it out" mantra; American Innotek provides the Restop 2 Disposable Bag for Solid Waste. Be a better steward of the environment with a safe and clean way to dispose and pack out your solid human waste.

- Mountain Gear