Scarpa Charmoz Pro GTX

This is a lightweight, sturdy, boot designed for 3-season…

Summary

This is a lightweight, sturdy, boot designed for 3-season mountaineering, but equally at home on a rocky, root filled hiking trail in all but the coldest weather. If you like to get off the beaten path, this is one boot to take you there.

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Good tread
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Not very breathable
  • Somewhat narrow in the toe-box

I bought these boots after realizing my heavy Scarpa backpacking boots just were not providing the traction I needed when scrambling up rocks. From the moment I tried them on I knew I had found a good boot. The heel cup feels solid and secure. The ankle support is excellent.

I wore them around the house for a few days before taking them out on (and off) the trail and they were worth the price. No blisters, no tired dogs, no wet feet, excellent traction on rocks wet and dry: better than any boots I have owned previously. There was no break-in needed and no pressure points developed.

I did add an insole prior to wearing them, but I do this with all my boots. I have had these boots a few months now and have well over a hundred miles on them in rain and snow, on good trails and ice-covered peaks, and I still think they are the best boots I have owned.

Only complaint is that, like any waterproofed product, breathability is not very good. I guess you cannot have everything.

If you've owned or used a Scarpa Men's Charmoz Pro GTX, please share your experience.