Scarpa Kailash GTX

I recently purchased a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX…

Materials: Gore-tex, leather
Use: rough trail, roots, wet ground, hills
Break-in Period: none required
Weight: 2.1 LB

I recently purchased a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX boots, and went on my first backpack trip with them September 20, 2008. It was a one night 10 mile trip, so not a long one. However, for not having a chance to break them in the comfort was amazing! They also supported my feet well, which considering my weak ankles is important.

I also have problems with plantar faciaitis, and my orthotics combined with the Vibram sole of this boot produced comfort and pain free walking which I did not get with my previous boot. I have not had these boots long, but I now can look forward to long trips and happy feet at the end of the day!

The Scarpa Kailash GTX is comfortable, has a versatle…

Summary

The Scarpa Kailash GTX is comfortable, has a versatle weight, is breathable and is great for people with narrow heals and feet.

Pros

• Comfort, durability, breathable
  • Good for narrow feet
  • Good gripping sole for both loose rock as well as mud

Cons

• No full leather version—I liked that aspect of the old Sundowner

Let me start with the fact that I went through many boots to finally land on this one. I had some of the old Italian made Vasque Sundowner GTX boots for over 8 years and I thought nothing could ever come close. I was wrong.

I have narrow heels as well as feet in general so I was told by numerous people to give Scarpa or LaSportiva a try. I tried both and decided on the Kailash GTX given the lighter weight and good construction. I saw it as a versitle boot that could either be used for day hikes or on longer backpacking adventures.

I love this boot. It is extremely durable, shows little wear after many miles, is very breathable as well. I also no longer get blisters even when it's humid outside. I am a Scarpa person now

Excellent, supportive boot. Waterproof. Flexible.

Summary

Excellent, supportive boot. Waterproof. Flexible. Medium weight. Comfortable straight out of the box.

Pros

• Weight
  • Flexible
  • Gore-tex liner
  • Tough sole unit

Cons

• Footbed inserts do not match the quality of the rest of the boot.

The best hiking boot I've ever used. A relatively narrow boot, not everyone has broad feet! It's certainly not the lightest boot out there, but it's certainly not in the heavy-range either.

At last, I've found a Gore-tex-lined boot that actually keeps the water out. I've been through three different types of Salomon Gore-tex-lined boots, all supposedly waterproof, yet they all leaked through the seams almost from being brand new.

The Kailash's I've walked repeatedly through streams that were just below the top of the boot, and my feet have remained dry the entire trip — very important in the winter months.

I take 1 star off for the lightweight footbed inserts. I replaced them with proper shock-absorbing inserts, to make the boots near-perfect.

Highly recommended!

Visit Scarpa's Men's Kailash GTX page.

This year Scarpa's version of the award-winning Kailash GTX hiking boots features a new midsole and sole package for added structure and support. They've focused on emphasizing ankle flex and mobility without sacrificing stability. The lacing system gives you excellent volume control. Bi-directional ankle flex Protective toe rand Vibram sole for excellent traction on any surface

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

The Scarpa Men's Kailash GTX Hiking Boot provides the durability of a suede upper and the waterproof breathable performance of Gore-Tex. A Vibram Hi-Trail Lite sole creates all the traction you need for anything from scree to dirt to mud, and it lasts for years and years of trail time. Scarpa added a protective rubber toe cap to this midweight boot, so you don't go wearing it out before its time. The Kailash GTX Hiking Boot supports your ankles well enough for a weeklong trip yet remains light enough for day hikes.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Scarpa Men's Kailash GTX Boot FEATURES of the Scarpa Men's Kailash GTX Boot Bi-directional ankle flex Extended Comfort Gore-Tex offers protection with maximum breathability Super shock-absorbing Vibram Hi-Trail Lite sole Toe rand for critical protection SPECIFICATIONS of the Scarpa Men's Kailash GTX Boot Upper: Suede Lining: Gore-Tex - Performance Comfort Insole: Comfort-Flex Midsole: PU/EVA Sole: Vibram Hi-Trail Lite Last: BX Weight: 1 lb 6 oz / 630 g

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Scarpa Mens Kailash GTX - This year's version of the award-winning Kailash GTX hiking boots features a new midsole and sole package for added structure and support. Other highlights in this boot include bi-directional ankle flex construction, which provides excellent mobility without sacrificing stability. The forefoot has easily tensioned lacing that offers superior volume control and confidence for bearing big loads and moving over technical terrain. Bi-directional ankle flex Easily tensioned lacing system Performance Comfort Gore-Tex(R) Protective toe rand Vibram(R) sole Upper: Suede & Nylon Lining: Gore-Tex(R) - Performance Comfort Insole: Comfort-Flex Midsole: PU + TPU Sole: Vibram(R) Hi-Trail Lite Last: BX Sizes: 39-47, 48 (half sizes) Weight: 630g; 1lb 6oz (1/2 pair size 42) Color: Taupe/Cigar Product Code: 67045/200

- Massey's Outfitters refers to the men's version