Sea to Summit The Kitchen Sink 5L

Excellent choice for the backpacker, replace large…

Summary

Excellent choice for the backpacker, replace large tub you used when car camping. Folds up into small size. Neat rubberized lining really does hold water!

Pros

• small pack size
  • clippable to outside pack
  • rigid design stay upright

Cons

• heavier than plastic bag
  • belt loop stays wet

Sea to Summit brand kitchen sink is an excellent choice for your backpacking experience. There are multiple sizes available. I used the five liter version. This was plenty when I cooked meals that required multiple pans. However it might be a bit small if you wanted to do dishes for several people.

The storage has loops for carabiner in case you want to move out while it is still wet, also a belt loop as mentioned under cons in this review. The loops make this item very accessible. The design features are quite excellent as the sink folds out and pops up to maintain its shape while you wash.

I have not had a better sink with me while camping.

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink in three sizes: 5L, 10L,…

Price Paid: $15, $25, $30

Summary

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink in three sizes: 5L, 10L, and 20L.

Pros

• 5, 10, or 20 liter sizes
  • Available in good sized containers (5 and 10L), or large sized container (20L)
  • 5L and 10L pack small
  • 20L packs not too big for what it is
  • Dry fast
  • 20L not so difficult to fold into carrier

Cons

• 5L and 10L a bit difficult to fold
  • 20L heavy when full
  • 20L perhaps too large

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink:

This is a water carrying device/container that folds for easy packing. I have a few sizes of these (5L, 10L, and 20L, plus the Folding Bucket) — see the picture for all four together. They pack small.

The smallest is 5L, about the size of two decks of cards.

The second smallest is 10L, about half the size of a paperback book.

The largest is 20L, about the size of a package of frozen vegetables so it is a little big. This one really is nearly the size of a kitchen sink.

Kitchen sink might not be the best name. These are folding, self supporting waterproof containers, not just for washing dishes. While they are good for washing, they are better just as a something to carry water.

They are self-supporting. I would hesitate to fill one to the full stated capacity, though. A neat thing about it is that if I shake it out when through, then turn it inside out and shake it again, it doesn’t retain much water.

Here is what the 5L looks like mostly full:

kitchen-sink-5l.jpg

Here is what the 10L looks like mostly full:

kitchen-sink-10l.jpg

Here is what the 20L looks like mostly full:

kitchen-sink-20l.jpg

In comparison to each other:

kitchen-sinks-full.jpg

Here is what they look like packed up:

Kitchen-sinks-folded.jpg

On one of the first trips for mine, it was extremely hot and I used the 5L to wash a t-shirt.  It worked OK for that.

I see that some of the other reviews were not positive. Perhaps those reviewers expected too much from it.   The twisting wire isn't that big of a deal. The wire is loose inside a sleeve and can twist. You can tease it back into place. It happens to mine some times. Even with the wire twisted, I haven't had trouble getting the sink to hold water, though. I wouldn't overfill it.

I think the biggest trick is to remember how to fold it to get it back into the package. Folding it the right way helps avoid the twisting wire issue. With it in 1 big loop, pull the wire across itself in the middle to make 3 loops in a line. Then fold each end loop into the middle, with the folds at the wire crossings between the loops.

There is a belt loop on the carrying case, but I haven’t been bold enough to carry all of these around on a belt at once.  It might look like batman’s utility belt. Perhaps sometime when my wife drags me to an indoor event that I would prefer to avoid will be an opportunity to try that out.

Thanks for the helpful review, DrPhun. Do you bring this along on all of your backpacking trips, or just certain types?

DrPhun

I often take the small one or the bucket, but reserve the larger ones for car or motorcycle camping trips (I believe I included that information about how I use the larger ones differently in the reviews of the larger ones, so you can see that in those reviews.)

DrPhun

This is the review of the 5l one. I put up reviews for the 10l, 20l ones and the bucket as well. You can check those, Alicia.

Thanks, DrPhun. This product page is actually for all sizes of the Kitchen Sink, so we removed the duplicates and kept this one as your main review.

DrPhun

Ok, but they weren't the same. Could you add the different language from the other sizes to this one then?

1 day ago

I'm sorry about that, DrPhun. I've added all of your info and pictures above. I hope that helps.

14 hours ago

Stable, high capacity, high compressibility. I recommend…

Summary

Stable, high capacity, high compressibility. I recommend two of these for an extended trip.

Pros

• Stable
  • Capacity

This sink is a great addition to an extended trip pack. It's not really a fast and light item, but if you backpack in comfort then definitely bring it. It holds enough water to take a bath, do dishes, filter lots of water, or make LOTS of dinner.

I like how it bows out at the bottom, this greatly increases stability. Large top makes it easy to scoop water in and out of it, but watch out for fire embers and pine needles.

I have had this for a few years, and take it car camping and on all backpacking trips where my wife is present.

This is a sweet little sink. I love this thing. It's…

This is a sweet little sink. I love this thing. It's great for washing dishes, washing hair, carrying water, soaking your feet, whatever. I have used the sink a few times now and I love it more and more each time.

It stows very small for its capacity and it makes washing dishes a breeze. It doesn't have to be full to function as intended. Since buying this sink, I no longer dread washing dishes, I look forward to it. Another great product from Sea To Summit.

A fold-up 5 gallon bucket for about 9 ounces! The…

Summary

A fold-up 5 gallon bucket for about 9 ounces!

Pros

• Light
  • Holds shape
  • Packs down small

The 20 liter sink and a .4-1 Liter scoop make for a full bath. (You can bathe with water that is not potable. However, take care to keep the water out of your ears when rinsing your hair.)  If you have long hair, a refill of the sink will be needed for a full shower.

Great item. It has completely changed my attitude…

Great item. It has completely changed my attitude to cooking and cleanup when backpacking. I used to avoid cooking entirely because I didn't want to deal with the cleanup.

Now I cook whatever I want without worry about cleaning.

Great little outdoors kitchen sink. Used it to wash…

Great little outdoors kitchen sink. Used it to wash my Primus EtaExpress pot and pan, as well as my My-Ti Brunton folding spork in a test run. Holds water at any level (does NOT have to be full to hold water, does NOT have to be completely full to stand up on its own). Handles make carrying that much water easy - they're nice on the hands.

Two Cons, perhaps three:
- Handles take about 10 times as long to dry as the rest of the material. Long after the sink had been sun/air dried the handles remained damp.

- The nylon on the outside of the sink is not coated like the inside water-holding portion. This means the outside actually partially accepts water (gets wet) while the inside is impervious to water or repels it. This makes the outside take longer to dry than the inside. If the entire sink was coated like the inside dry time would probably be around 3 minutes on a warm, sunny, windy day.

Nevertheless, aside from the handles, having shaken most of the excess water off, dry time in the sun with a bit of wind is around 10-15 minutes, with respect to giving turns to both the inside and outside to dry.

- Oil and odors do not remove so easily from the inside coating. I cooked a Backcountry Kathmandu Curry and washed the dishes afterwards in this. I'd say it took a good 9 cups of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of CampSoap to wash it out after dumping the wash water. After cleaning the sink with soap twice and rinsing it, it still retained traces of oil and a slight smell of the curry.

Pros:
- Holds a full 10 liters (2.6 gallons)

- Stands on its own easily with any amount of water (doesn't tip over)

- Has a very compact packed size (a flat cylinder about 5.25" across x 1.75 high)

So many different uses. It is great to take down to…

So many different uses. It is great to take down to water source and fill it up (10 Liters) and than bring it back to camp to filter and fill up your other water containers. It is also great to fill with water and add boiling water and use it as a washing sink (for dishes or hair or whatever). I have used it on every trip.