Sea to Summit UltraLight Insulated Mat

R Value 3.3
Length 72 in / 183 cm
Width 21.5 in / 55 cm
Packed Size 4 x 9 in / 10 x 23 cm

Lightweight comfy pad, gives a great night's sleep.

Summary

Lightweight comfy pad, gives a great night's sleep.

Pros

• Easy and quick to inflate/deflate
  • Packs down small
  • Warm

Cons

• A bit noisy on the tent floor
  • The "bleed" valve is a little fussy at times

I was intrigued by Sea to Summit's new line of sleeping pads, so when the REI dividend and coupon came out, I decided to give it a try.

The first thing I notice was how small the packed size was. I'm always trying to put less bulk in my back, so this is good news for me.

20150419_152007-1-.jpg

I was taken by the pad's interesting new valve design. There are essentially two "plugs" in one. You open the outer plug to inflate, and both plugs to deflate. I find that it takes about a dozen or so breaths to inflate it fully, which is much faster than my previous pad, which usually took a couple of minutes to inflate.

There is a little button in the center of the outer valve, which one can use to release a small amount of air to fine tune the firmness. It is an interesting idea, though I found it took some fiddling to get it to work sometimes.

20150419_153127-1-.jpg

Opening the valve fully deflates the pad in seconds. This is a great time saving feature when packing up.

20150419_153236-1-.jpg

Considering the novel quilted design, and the lack of thickness compared to my Big Agnes pad, I was quite pleased with how supportive and comfortable it is. It distributes body weight pretty nicely through out, and is very stable. I also noticed that my bag didn't move around or slip off the pad at all, which was a nice change.

The only nitpick here, is that when the pad rubs on the tent floor, it made a bit of a squeaking sound.

20150419_153041-1-.jpg

On a chilly spring night in Northern California, camped out on wet grass on a multi-day bike tour, the pad provided great insulation from the ground, and I was quite warm all night long.

The pad includes a stuff sack and repair kit, which includes self-adhesive patches, and a replacement bleed off button for the valve.

20150419_152458-1-.jpg

The pad (size regular) weighed in on my food scale at exactly 1 lb, shaving a half-pound off of the weight of my current pad.

All in all, very happy with this pad, so far. Can't wait for summer backpacking trips to test it further!

David, what is the r-value of this pad?

David Link

The Sea to Summit website says 3.3. I have always been a warmish sleeper, though that is changing as I get older (who knew?). It will be interesting to see how it goes when I get into the mountains.

Thanks.

Ashleigh

Thanks for the helpful review, David!

Brent Mills

Hey David, does this pad hold air well, or does it deflate noticeably over the course of an evening?

This pad provides excellent comfort for very little…

Summary

This pad provides excellent comfort for very little weight, at a very reasonable price point. The only complaint about this sleeping pad came from the other folks in my party: It "sounds like a bag of corn chips when you roll over."

• Comfort

Cons

• Loud when rolling over

I purchased the Sea to Summit Ultralight insulated sleeping pad to replace an older and heavier pad. The pad packs down very small and weighs only a pound. It provides excellent insulation and comfort.

An added bonus is the ease of inflation, as it only takes about 30 seconds to blow it up in comparison to some other pads that take 2 or 3 rounds of inflation before they are ready to be used. The downside to this is that the pad is thinner than some competitors and a bit narrower as well. I am a side sleeper and even so have found the pad to be adequate in thickness and width for me to sleep comfortably on my side.

I've taken this pad on a 4-day backpacking trip in PA and on an 8-day trip in the Sierras as well as a few nights in friends' apartments getting to and from the trail. It has shown no signs of wear during that time and holds air very well.

I've also found that the surface of the pad has just enough grip that it's fairly hard to slide off in the middle of the night.

The only complaint I can make about the pad is that it is a bit loud when you move around on it. It never bothered me, but my hiking partners commented often on how loud it was when I rolled around.

Overall a great pad that I would purchase again.

Welcome to Trailspace, Gregory! Thanks for sharing your STS mat review. Got any pictures of yours to share in your review?

This air pad is not only warm but the most stable…

Summary

This air pad is not only warm but the most stable air pad I've ever used! I would highly recommend this pad to all. It's very compact and light with a great valve system that is very easy to blow up and even easier to deflate! This is the perfect backpacking air pad!

Pros

• Easy inflation and deflation
  • Compact
  • Very stable
  • Super light
  • Not noisy like most air pads

Cons

• I can't name one!

if you are an ultralight backpacker or just a weekend warrior you will love this air pad! I never bottomed out even though it's only 2" thick! The stability that the pad offered is unmatched to the Neo and Big Agnes pads!

I use a Tyvec footprint and the pad didn't slip even on an incline! My fellow hikers, this pad is a must! With an R value of 3.3 at 15.5 oz and holding 181 air sprung cells this is the best $149 I've spent.