Sierra Designs Forty Winks

Good well-rounded synthetic bag. Medium weight, medium…

Summary

Good well-rounded synthetic bag. Medium weight, medium packed size, medium warmth, and durable.

Pros

• Good design

Cons

• Doesn't pack down super small
  • A little heavy

This was my first sleeping bag I ever bought, purchased in 2001. I have been happy with the bag, and I think it is a good bag in all categories.  It is not a very lightweight bag, nor does it pack down very small, but it's a mid-priced synthetic bag and I think it is everything that it's supposed to be. Overall I've been pleased with it as a general purpose, well-built bag.

Since then I almost always use down bags, due to their compressibility and warmth. The major downside of down is that they don't keep you warm at all if they get wet (though some of the newer down technologies are getting around this).

I still take my Sierra Designs Forty Winks bag with me when I go to very wet environments and when I'm not overly concerned about space in my pack, and given that I've now had this bag for fifteen years, I think that says a lot.