Sierra Designs Hurricane HP Jacket

Weight 13.5 oz
Center Back Length 30 in (Large)
Waterproof 5,000 mm
Breathability 5,000 grams per sq m
Shell Fabric Hurricane

For two years, both my jacket and my son's worked…

Summary

For two years, both my jacket and my son's worked as advertised. Good value for the money.

Pros

• Waterproof as advertised
  • Hood
  • Adjustable at wrists, waist, and hood

Cons

• Weak pockets could get holes (mine have not)
  • Weak attachment of chest pocket to jacket interior (though mine have not broken off)
  • Hood is not detachable

I and my teenage son have each owned these jackets for two years, and we wear them every day (even in summer I use mine essentially as a sweater at work, and my son does the same at school).  We have had no problems with failed zippers, tearing, or other craftsmanship issues. My son has successfully used his for riding to class on a bike in the rain at college.

The only problem is that these are, indeed, inexpensively made, and they do wear out a little faster than similar more expensive products. In fact, I'm online now looking for a replacement for my son's as his has worn out and is no longer waterproof. Mine is still good, but there is some noticeable wear and tear.

Note that this jacket is just a shell.  It has no fleece (or other warm) lining.

For comparison, I owned a similar jacket (REI brand) that cost nearly twice as much. Unfortunately, I don't remember how long it lasted, but I believe it was in slightly better shape at this point in its life. It had a very thin plastic interior lining, which made for a slightly thicker, warmer jacket, and a richer feel. This thin plastic lining, however, was the first thing to wear out -- little plastic crumbles started falling out of it -- which essentially ended its useful life. Its pockets were more robust, and they were fully integrated into the jacket rather than being obvious separate pieces sewn on.

Having owned both, the slight benefits of the REI jacket, which is the second cheapest of this sort of very lightweight waterproof jacket I could find, is not worth the extra money to me.

Hi Glenn. Thanks for sharing your gear review. Depending on the state of your son's jacket, you could try to re-waterproof it with a wash-in treatment: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/fabric-cleaners/ Hope that's helpful.

I had this jacket for less than a week before the…

I had this jacket for less than a week before the zipper on the chest pocket broke. A week later it ripped along the pit zip and down the sleeve of the jacket.

Wore it in a downpour and after about 30 minutes it seemed as if I wasn't wearing a rain jacket at all! I would NOT recommend this jacket to anyone! Spend the extra money and buy something better...

Sierra Designs Men's Hurricane HP Jacket

The Sierra Designs Men's Hurricane HP Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 21, 2014 at REI.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.