Sierra Designs Hurricane LT Pant

Not at all waterproof. Misleading advertised as such.

Not at all waterproof. Misleading advertised as such. I would never recommend this pant. (maybe as a windbreaker)

This is what I call a disposable item. I used it two…

Fabric: Nylon

This is what I call a disposable item. I used it two times in winter, once for hiking in the Catskills and once for cross-country skiing, and it worked fine. But the third time I tried to use it, water started to seep in through the seams between the legs, where more movement occurs: the inner shell separated from the outer, and riped open at the seams. The outer isn't water tight, so water seeps in.

I sent it to Sierra, and the repair they did is nothing short of outrageous: they covered the original seams with some type of common tape. I wish I could put some photos on this review. The way it was done left some spots open, where sure enough water will come in. And I guess the tape will peel off very soon.

So Sierra Designs did a lousy job two times with this pants. Even if you find it very cheap, don't buy it. It's worth nothing.

UPDATED JULY 3, 2007:
About the quality of these pants, read my previous review. About Sierra's service: after my complaint to them a representative contacted me, asking what they could do. Since I didn't want a new Hurricane, they offered to send, on their expenses, the Cyclone.
I haven't tested it yet, but it looks a bit better built than the Hurricane. As soon as I do, I´ll write a review.

This changed my mind about Sierra's service. I can say they won their client back. It took a while, but was really good.

Sierra Designs' Hurricane LT Pant features a lightweight, waterproof/breathable design to keep you dry in the drippiest of conditions. Two-layers of waterproof/breathable coating on a nylon fabric and fully taped seams will keep the rain from getting in. Breathable fabric allows sweaty moisture vapors to escape-so your legs won't smother. These lightweight rain pants travel well. Ankle zippers make it easy to slip on the pants while wearing your shoes. Ideal for high-aerobic activities such as backpacking and running, or for less sweaty activities such as rainy-day urban assaults.

- Backcountry Outlet refers to the men's version

A lightweight rainwear option, Sierra Designs Hurricane LT Pants protect you from rain, breathe and pack down small. Hurricane LT nylon shell has a waterproof, breathable coating, and all seams are taped for complete protection. Elastic waist with adjustable drawcord. Ankles have 14 in. zippers for easy on and off over footwear. Zippered security pocket on thigh.

- REI refers to the men's version

Sierra Designs Men's Hurricane LT Pant (Fall 2006) Lightweight, breathable and fully taped, the Hurricane LT Pant by Sierra Designs provide complete waterproof protection. A must on every epic trip.Great for Walking, Travel, Running, Hiking, Fitness, Camping, BackpackingFabrics HurricaneFeatures Fully taped waterproof seams/construction Elastic waist with adjustable drawcord Easy access thigh zippered security pocket 16in. ankle zippers for easy on/off

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Sierra Designs Hurricane LT Pant features a lightweight, waterproof/breathable design to keep you dry in the rainiest and sweatiest of conditions.

- Explore64 refers to the men's version

Sierra Designs Hurricane LT Pant

The Hurricane LT Pant has been discontinued.

The Sierra Designs Hurricane LT Pant is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 29, 2010 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new hard shell pant, check out the best reviewed current models.