Sierra Designs Nitro 15

Shoulder Girth 53 - 60 in / 130 - 150 cm 55 - 62 in / 140 - 160 cm
Hip Girth 50 - 57 in / 130 - 140 cm 52 - 59 in / 130 - 150 cm
Foot Girth 35 in / 89 cm 37 in / 94 cm
Price $379.95 USD $399.95 USD

SD seems to finally have something here. At least…

Design: mummy
Fill: 700
Temperature Rating: 15 deg F
Weight: ~2lb 1oz

SD seems to finally have something here. At least for the ultra-light crowd. After rejecting the Marmot Helium 15 and the SD Arrow Rock 15 I chose the Nitro 15 for the design, quality, performance and value. SD's snag free zipper design, IMO, is the best around.

Perhaps not as "snag free" as Marmot but there are no flappy stiffeners or potential cold spots if you toss around in this bag. The shell/lining material is polyester, great feel, excellent breathability.

Probably has a DWR finish but not enough to hamper transpiration. I have an SD Trade Wind 15 800 w/ the Dri-Zone shell. IMO, Dri-Zone does not breathe well, traps body moisture; I've never been able to use the Trade Wind much below 30 deg.

Anyway, I tried the Nitro last month in the Gila, night temp around 25-30 deg w/ a snow squall coming in early AM w/ 20-30mph winds. I slept in Capilene 2 under a tarp with the wind blowing thru. I felt absolutely snug and warm. The loft and weight are the perfect combination.

The half zipper is not much a problem at all. In fact, even with my full length zipper bags it is seldom that they are unzipped all the way. It is no trouble at all to climb out of this bag considering the increased thermal efficiency that you get in return. The bag takes up almost no room in my Osprey.

This bag may not be for some and I consider it kind of a minimalist's bag only in the sense of weight and cut. It doesn't compromise quality or performance and it has a nice luxurious feel. I didn't think I'd like the jacket hood but when that squall came blowing thru it was perfect.

The only drawback to this bag is the silver color lining -it's going to show oily dirt from your face and hair rather easily. I'm guessing the silver lining might have some heat reflective properties since I'm seeing it on other makes. The Nitro is a bargain especially since it gives certain Western Mountaineering models a good run for the money. I just don't want to pay $400 for a sack of goose feathers.

To conclude, I had several SD products in the early days that were of excellent quality at a fair price point. It has been somewhat hit or miss for the past several years but hopefully the Nitro might be an indication they're on the comeback trail possibly giving Marmot a good run for the money and edging out TNF.

This thing was quite an upgrade over my REI Polar…

This thing was quite an upgrade over my REI Polar Pod +20. After spending many nights not-quite-warm-enough in my Polar Pod, I decided to spend a bit more and get something better. I am really impressed by the light weight, small packed size, and fill of the bag. I've been warm every night I've slept in it.

This bag rocks. It is very light and very warm. It…

Design: mummy
Fill: 800 fill down
Temperature Rating: 15 F
Weight: 2.1 lbs.

This bag rocks. It is very light and very warm. It packs very small. I was kind of worried about the narrow focus of the bag on lightness. I wondered if there would be durability or waterproofing issues. I have not had a problem with either. This thing is impervious to the morning dew and so far looks like it will hold up well to life on the trail. I have high expectations for a purchase of this expense, and I really feel like I am getting my money's worth.

Visit Sierra Designs's Nitro 15 page.

Flexing torso baffles and premium down make the Sierra Designs Nitro 15-Degree Sleeping Bag a top choice for three-season ultralight backpacking. With its compressible down insulation and ultra-packable nylon fabric, this two-pound bag is a perfect fit for your next week- or season-long alpine trek.

You won't believe how much warmth and comfort you get from such a small package - the Sierra Designs Nitro packs into a tiny sack (included), but stays toasty to 15 degrees. Sierra Designs builds in Flex between the shoulders and knees, so you get the comfort and thermal benefits, while saving precious ounces. Continuous baffling and a draft tube contain 800-fill goose down, the warmest, lightest insulation available.

- CampSaver.com

Ultralight 15degF/-9degC You won't believe how much warmth and comfort you get from such a small package - the Nitro packs into a tiny sack (included), but stays toasty to 15 degrees. We build in Flex(TM) between the shoulders and knees, so you get the comfort and thermal benefits, while saving precious ounces. Continuous baffling and a draft tube contain 800-fill goose down, the warmest, lightest insulation available.

- Rocky Mountain Trail

Free Shipping. Sierra Designs Nitro 15 Degree Sleeping Bag DECENT FEATURES of the Sierra Designs Men's Nitro 15 Degree Sleeping Bag Ergonomically shaped footbox Snag-free zipper tracks Draw cord at collar Draft collar Ultralight footbox vent (12in.) Offset ultralight jacket zipper (30in.) Ultralight Jacket Hood Partial Flex on the exterior torso Zipper draft tube Includes stuff and storage sacks The SPECS Temperature Rating: 15deg F / -9deg C Zipper Side: Left Material: Fill: 800 Fill-Power Goose Down Shell: 20D Nylon Ripstop Liner: 20D Nylon Ripstop The SPECS for Regular Trail Weight: 2 lbs 2 oz Shoulder Girth: 53 - 60in. Hip Girth: 50 - 57in. Footbox Girth: 38in. Fits Up To: 6' Fill Weight: 20 oz Stuff Size: 7in. x 17in. The SPECS for Long Trail Weight: 2 lbs 5 oz Shoulder Girth: 55 - 62in. Hip Girth: 52 - 59in. Footbox Girth: 40in. Fits Up To: 6'6in. Fill Weight: 22 oz Stuff Size: 8in. x 18in.

Sierra Designs Nitro 15

The Sierra Designs Nitro 15 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 12, 2013 at Backcountry.com.