Sierra Designs Trade Wind 15

Shoulder Girth 62 in / 160 cm 64 in / 160 cm
Hip Girth 58 in / 147 cm 60 in / 150 cm
Foot Girth 40 in / 100 cm 42 in / 110 cm
Price $269.95 USD $289.95 USD

This review is for the 2006 model of the Trade Wind…

Design: Mummy
Fill: 800 Fill
Temperature Rating: 15
Weight: 3 lbs 2 oz tall

This review is for the 2006 model of the Trade Wind 15, which, in my opinion, is way better than the current model pictured above. I'll explain why.

The 2006 model is filled with 800-fill down as opposed to 600-fill, has a longer side zipper, and better look with a printed design interior, as opposed to a boring matte black. I have tried both versions, as I was set on a waterproof, down bag with a nice feature set for a solid price.

I also compared those two bags with the Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 15 and 30, as well as the Montbell Super Stretch Burrow bag #2. I kept the 2006 version and sent all the others back.

The stretch features of the three bags above seemed nice, but unnecessary for myself. Plus, the Trade Wind 15 had plenty of room. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs using the Tall model of course. The Montbell tall bags are only sized for 6'4" individuals. So that was just a tad too tight.

The stretch bags had the "extra" stretch built in, but in reality, they stretched to the size of the Trade Wind. Check the dimensions and you'll see it's true.

The durability of the Drizone shell seemed more solid over the lighter nylon used on the other three bags. I liked that as I could easily camp outside the tent, without alarm. That, and the other bags didn't meet the waterproof requirement I was looking for. I have only briefly tested the waterproofness of the bag and it seems solid. In all reality, I don't think I'll be sleeping outside in a downpour, but condensation is a concern and I have full confidence in the shell. You sacrifice just a bit of weight and compressibility, but really, its not much. The other bags didn't pack down too much smaller.

The bag feels wonderful, and the 800-fill fluffs up wonderfully. The draft tube runs the length of the zipper and all the way across the chest in the 06 model. I don't think it does the same in the 08, but I cannot remember.

I am really perplexed why Sierra Designs changed the design. The current 08 model seems to have lost a step in every department from the 06 model. I am sorry if that is unfortunate for potential buyers. The 08 was still my second choice, but with the much cozier 800-fill and longer zipper, keeping the quality constant. the 06 was my choice.

I haven't tested the lower temp ratings just yet. I have however, slept in 70 degree weather. The bag managed just fine. The zipper was open of course, but I didn't overheat. The breathability of the shell proved superb.

All in all, a great, highly versatile bag.

Visit Sierra Designs's Trade Wind 15 page.

Free Shipping. Sierra Designs Trade Wind 15 Degree Sleeping Bag DECENT FEATURES of the Sierra Designs Men's Trade Wind 15 Degree Sleeping Bag Snag-free zipper tracks Draw cord at collar Draft collar Drizone waterproof-breathable shell Pillow pocket Easy access, ventable, 60in. zipper Zipper draft tube Ergonomic hood and foot box Tuck Stitch construction The SPECS Temperature Rating: 15deg F / -9deg C Zipper Side: Left Material: Fill: 600 Fill-Power Down Shell: 40D Drizone Nylon Ripstop Liner: 30D Polyester The SPECS for Regular Trail Weight: 2 lbs 15 oz Shoulder Girth: 62in. Hip Girth: 58in. Footbox Girth: 40in. Fits Up To: 6' Fill Weight: 26 oz Stuff Size: 8in. x 17in. The SPECS for Long Trail Weight: 3 lbs 5 oz Shoulder Girth: 64in. Hip Girth: 60in. Footbox Girth: 42in. Fits Up To: 6'6in. Fill Weight: 28 oz Stuff Size: 8in. x 18in.

CLOSEOUTS . The long, three-season, 15?F Trade Wind down sleeping bag from Sierra Designs features DRY-ZONE(R) waterproof breathable fabric, continuous baffle construction to keep you warm and dry in cold, wet weather. Available Colors: BLUE/BLACK.

- Sierra Trading Post

The Sierra Designs Trade Wind 15 Sleeping bag, The 2006 Gear Of The Year winner from Outside Magazine, is an innovative 600-fill Goose Down bag that is revolutionary in its technology and performance. The sleeping bag is designed with the award-winning DriZone laminated waterproof and breathable fabric that allows moisture to escape while keeping condensation out. The 600-fill Goose Down is a natural renewable insulation that provides a higher "warmth-to-weight" ratio, longer life, best compression and is great for backcountry adventures.

- CampSaver.com

The Sierra Designs Trade Wind 15-Degree Sleeping Bag features a DriZone shell to protect the 600-fill down from light moisture so that you can feel confident sleeping under the stars, even if fog will roll in off the ocean come morning.

Sierra Designs Trade Wind 15

The Sierra Designs Trade Wind 15 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 8, 2014 at Moosejaw.