Snow Peak Ti-Single 450 Colored Cup

Weight 2.4 oz
Dimensions 3.4 in x 3.6 in
Capacity 14 oz
Material Titanium

A great little cup or tiny pot. Add the Snow Peak…

Price Paid: Retail

Summary

A great little cup or tiny pot. Add the Snow Peak Thermal Lid and you've got a great cup for your morning coffee or tea that is durable enough to pass down to your kids.

Pros

• Weight
  • Size
  • Quality

Cons

• Price

Size & Weight

The 450 ml cup weighs in at 2.2 oz. and measures 3 11/16" tall and 3 1/16" in diameter. For folks like me that use a calculator to convert to U.S. units it has a 15 oz capacity.

Field Use

I’ve used the cup in all four seasons here in the southeastern U.S. The primary use of the cup for me is to drink tea and coupled with the Snow Peak Thermal Lid for the 450 double wall lid it’s perfect. I have also baked a muffin a few times in it using the Snow Peak Mini Solo pot, a spacer to keep it off the bottom of the pot and a twig stove or remote fed alcohol stove made by Tato Gear with good results. For dry baking it works but it is not my first choice. This cup finds it way into my pack especially when cool mornings are forecast.

I’ve tried only carrying the cup as a primary cook pot and this is a very doable option for gram counters who re-hydrate meals primarily. I found the size a little too small for cooking anything. I have re-hydrated ramen meal with foil packaged meats successfully in this cup. However, I see the .8 oz. additional weight of the Mini Solo pot and the nearly twice the capacity well worth the tiny weight and volume penalty.

Lee Patterson

I guess the most important question is, will it keep your coffee piping hot for more than 5 to 10 minutes or so? I know this mug is lightweight, but how is the insulation?

dirtwheels

Lee, I use a DIY reflectix cozy or one of those promotional fabric covered foam beer can cozys. The reflectix hits 10 minutes easily with the lid and the beer can foam cozy works OK. The mug itself has zero insulation. HOWEVER I have one of the insulated 6 oz. capacity REI mugs and the reflectix works better and it's lighter to boot.

The two-star rating is for the colored Snow Peak 450…

Summary

The two-star rating is for the colored Snow Peak 450 cups (5 stars for the uncolored). Snow Peak should recall the colored cups due to the leaching of the dye.

Pros

• Multi-function (single wall)

Cons

• Colors leach

We have three of the colored cups and they leach color so bad that the blue one turned my kid's mouth blue. Over the year all three cups color have faded. The same with their sporks.

(5 stars for the uncolored version)

Welcome to Trailspace, Hodad. I'm going to alert Alicia to your review. She may be able to move your "colored" Snowpeak into it's own review category.

The colored version, now has its own product page. The regular ti version is here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/snow-peak/ti-single-450-cup/

dirtwheels

I would be interested in what you use in the cups when you've noticed leaching and if there is a liquid or use that seem to promote leaching. I've had no issues with mine. Have you contacted Snow Peak? If you purchased from REI you might want to try a return, their return policy is more than a little generous.

Hodad

Hi Dirtwheels, We've used these cups on and off of the alcohol stove and wood burning stoves for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, apple juice and meal portions. The blue cup was worse. They have been cleaned on trail with greenies and camp soap and and off trail in the dishwasher. I haven't contacted Snow Peak, But I did purchase two from REI and I might return them. Thanks for the suggestion.

dirtwheels

Hodad, Thanks for the details. I've only used mine on alcohol stoves a few times, I usually heat the water in another pot when I'm heating the water for re-hydrating. I'd imagine you'd have good luck with REI, they have a yard sale coming up the 1st week in January so you might want have better luck since they will not have to keep it on the shelf long.

Excellent mug Love it. Unbelievably light with nice…

Summary

Excellent mug

Pros

Love it. Unbelievably light with nice graphics.

After backpacking several times and trying to make…

After backpacking several times and trying to make 8 ounces of hot cocoa in a 32 ounce pot I got fed up. I hated dirtying another dish just to have something hot to drink. So, I went to my local gear shop and shopped for mugs.

They had several models but I finally decided on this one. I opted for a single wall mug rather than a double wall mainly because of the cost, the weight, and I also wanted my digits to be warm on cold mornings.

As it turns out, this mug is great. I take it on every trip I go on now. It's lightweight, it radiates enough heat to keep your fingers toasty and it looks good (I know, not really that important). I clip it onto my pack and forget about it. A great buy in my opinion.