Swiss Barefoot Company Free Your Feet (Classic Swiss)

Dyneema material rubberised socks that allow you to…

Summary

Dyneema material rubberised socks that allow you to really feel the terrain under your feet. Minimises risk of cuts when wanting to go barefoot.

Pros

• Ultra tough, made from Dyneema
  • Super grippy soles
  • Fast drying
  • Ultra portable

Cons

• Toes slightly uncomfortable
  • A few rubberised sole niblets detached

P9261367.jpg

The FYF (Free Your Feet) is a great pair of socks for those into water sports or those that want to go barefoot. Made out of Dyneema fibre that has tensile strength 15 times greater than steel it protects your feet from any type of cut (e.g. selfish, glass), friction injury (blisters from rough terrain) or scratches (from twigs and stones). However, it will not protect you from long pointy objects (think needles or urchins).

It has amazing as it has small rubberised nibs on the soles. I was able to clamber with ease over wet rocks and granite outcroppings while rock fishing, without fear of ripping my feet apart. Once done, I squeezed the socks off and rolled them up into the small waterproof bag supplied. Unfortunately some of the nibs had started to detach, perhaps due to submersion in salt water for long periods of time.

Another downer was that the rubberised sole only came to about an inch from the back part of my heel. Hence, If you are thinking of purchasing them, I would suggest a slightly larger size for a looser fit and perhaps a complete toe to heel rubberised sole.

The socks are really useful and protect your feet around camp, while wadding in water or doing some "barefoot" hiking or running. You can feel your feet strengthening as you naturally adjusting your gait and feet placement as the FYFs really allow you to feel the ground you are traversing.

A great pair of barefoot sock that allows one to really connect with the landscape without fear of injury.

Update: Here is a photo of the packability of the FYFs. The pair of socks are rolled up semi tightly and below them is the empty bag (ruler is in inches):

P9300015.jpg

Interesting concept. Thanks for sharing your experience with these socks, Saul.

1 year ago

Thanks for the review. Can you tell us how much these weigh? I could see something like this replacing the Crocs I carry for stream crossings while backpacking.

Searm

Hi G00SE, The FYFs in size "S" with the small bag they roll up into is 99g, just the socks themselves 89.5g. They are super portable!

Thanks!

1 year ago

Poorly made. Not as advertised. Pure garbage. Wore…

Price Paid: $80+

Summary

Poorly made. Not as advertised.

Cons

• Overpriced
  • No durability
  • Poor customer service

Pure garbage. Wore them for two bouldering sessions. The rubber nibs wore off quickly and I wore a hole in the fabric. So much for being durable and made of the strongest fiber.

The company said they would be happy to exchange them, but first asked me to check the fit. What's the point if it already has a hole worn into it? Interesting idea but poorly executed.

SAVE YOUR MONEY. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Welcome to Trailspace, Nick. Too bad these sock/shoes didn't work out. Can you share some pictures of them in your review to show others how they wore down?

The company sent me the wrong size. I needed a size…

Pros

• They look cool.

Cons

• Too expensive and not worth $80 a pair
  • The Barefoot company has absolutely terrible customer service and that even took them over a month to get back to me at one point.
  • The Sox do not hold up to what they are advertised for. I would use these for very light activity. I would not run in them on any surface unless it was a treadmill.

The company sent me the wrong size. I needed a size medium and they sent me a size large. I tried to work with the size but I'm pretty sure that it is not supposed to hurt my feet to wear these. I had to push so much fabric down in between my toes to get them to fit properly that it actually hurt my feet to wear these.

They did not work right for rock climbing and they did not work well for jogging on the concrete when I encountered a very small patch of pebbles. It felt just like I had no protection at all.

They advertise that you can go rock climbing and they also advertise that you can run on any surface including a rocky surface and it will hold up fine. But what they don't tell you is that it will hurt the heck out of your feet the second your foot hits that rock with all your bodyweight and momentum!

Definitely not worth $80.

Welcome to Trailspace, Zachary. Thanks for the review. Too bad these were such a disappointment. It could be very helpful for others to see pictures of your pair in your review, so you can show some of the fit and other issues.

Outdoors socks made in Dyneema, which according to…

Summary

Outdoors socks made in Dyneema, which according to wiki is 8-15 times stronger than steel. Protects the feet from stings and cuts, while at the same time keeping them warm.

Pros

• Versatile
  • Comfortable (barefoot but without the pain)
  • Very small packing space
  • Relatively cheap
  • Extremely light

Cons

• They look a bit weird
  • If running, you could get injuries if you do not adjust your running technique.

I love running and doing outdoors stuff in these. They are very light (perhaps 50 grams each?) and versatile. I use them for running and forest walking, climbing etc now, but can see many other uses for them. For example next time I go sea kayaking I will bring them instead of ordinary shoes or sandals, as they dry quickly and are perfect for using while exiting they kayak to go ashore. Also for walking on islands with sharp rocks.

Mostly I use them for running but for those who try it's important to use proper technique in order to avoid injuries. It's true that they do not support your ankles the same way as for example hiking boots, but at the same time you become much more sensitive to the ground and hence much less prone to slip in the first place.

I think they are great and would recommend them to outdoors enthusiasts that want to have the barefoot feel minus the pain, infections, and so forth.

Perhaps the best part is that it can bring weight down from the feet. Many trekkers try to pack light but usually they focus on the back. I've often heard that 100 grams on your feet is similar in extra effort to 1000 grams on your back. Because with your feet you have to constantly lift up and down. So for people who want to pack light, this could be something to consider.

Welcome to Trailspace, Isak. Do you have any pictures of your pair you could show others in your review?