Swiss Gear Self Inflating Mat

I have been using mine for four years. You have to…

Summary

I have been using mine for four years. You have to take care of it, it will puncture just like a high quality air matress, leaving you only low density foam to sleep on. Protect it and it will last many years. I use mine on top of a cot, as cots, stretched tight, are still very firm.

Pros

• Adds comfort.
  • I haven't punctured it yet.

Cons

• If don't take care of it, you will break it.

I read a review of a woman that expected it to blow itself up like an air mattress. It is low density foam that expands to its normal 1 - 1 1/2" size when exposed to normal air pressure. You then close the valves and maintain the softness of the foam and air within the pad.

The outer covering is rubberized nylon, just like a high quality air mattress. If you puncture it you will have to patch it. Word to the wise, don't pack it with sharp or pointy objects and it will work just fine for many years.

A word to Wenger (the manufacturer), you could have made it a few inches wider.

Bought 2 years ago. Used it on one backpacking, 2…

Bought 2 years ago. Used it on one backpacking, 2 night, trip. Worked well then. It's been in storage since. Took it down for trip this year and it's still like new. If only the plastic screw down valve that holds the air in would have not broke while rolled up in the padding. Can't understand how the very top section of the valve would just crack off, like a cap.

I wish I would have checked it sooner than 1 week prior to our trip. Can't afford another $100 right now to replace. Warranty useless at this point. They don't consider it a manufacturer defect. I would have to pay shipping both ways and it will take up to 3 weeks to receive replacement or same mat. (since they would "probably" deem it broken due to consumer use. Won't buy again.

Next time I will buy from REI. They may cost more up front, but had I spent the extra $ I would be getting a new pad this year, no problems, for life!

I bought and used this pad on three camping trips.

Price Paid: $30+

I bought and used this pad on three camping trips. On the second trip it had started to leak air. On the third trip it would no longer hold air. The welded side seam had separated in two places.

The pad lasted one night before it lost its ability…

The pad lasted one night before it lost its ability to stay inflated. Don't waste your money.

Just prior to going on vacation this summer, we purchased…

Just prior to going on vacation this summer, we purchased a Swissgear self-inflating sleeping mat. We thought that Swissgear... being a well known company would make a good product which would not disappoint us.

We used the pad while on vacation and to our dismay we were unable to keep the pad inflated...after checking and rechecking the directions to be sure we had followed them correctly. Our son who was sleeping on the mat would find himself sleeping on a totally deflated pad by morning. It was a very unwise choice and has made us think twice about purchasing another product from Swissgear.

Swiss Gear Self Inflating Mat

The Swiss Gear Self Inflating Mat is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new self-inflating sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.