Terra Nova Super Quasar

Bought my first (Wild Country) Quasar in 1990 and…

Price Paid: Can't recall the price although remembered it wasn't cheap!

Summary

Bought my first (Wild Country) Quasar in 1990 and still have it. It survived a ferocious (force 10+) New Year's night on An Teallach. Although I've still got it, I've since bought another which I'm sure will last another 25 years. A truly remarkable tent which I would highly recommend.

Pros

• Strength and stability
  • Longevity
  • Design

Cons

• Not cheap but you get what you pay for!

Easy to set up even in poor conditions. Extremely stable even in the most extreme weather. The trip to An Teallach on a New Years day 1992 was no doubt foolhardy. Having pitched in the snow as the light was going we were hit by a storm that blew around Loch Toll. The storm destroyed my friend's tent leaving four of us in the Quasar. The wind was sufficiently strong to lift the tent off the ground with the four of us in and bend the poles almost double. Despite all this the tent survived this, and many more, trips with only one change of poles.

On my first Quasar the floor's waterproof coating left something to be desired from the start. I should have returned it but laziness meant I lived with it. I'm not sure whether it was a one off issue with that particular tent although the one I got in 2013 doesn't have the same problem.

Ventilation is good even when camping in the high corrie on Liathach in the snow and in the heat of the Greek Islands. Storage is good with ample space for rucksacks in either of the two entrances.

The Quasar is easy to pack although in its standard version, it's maybe not the lightest of tents. However, this has never presented any issue. It's an extremely well made tent (other than the floor issue with my first) and incredibly robust. As a said in the introduction, my first tent is still usable after 27 years, albeit that I wouldn't want to trust it now in extreme weather!

All in all, if you want a tent that you can trust - no matter the weather - go for the Quasar. I couldn't recommend it more highly!

Beware! These tents are rubbish and customer service…

Price Paid: £450

Pros

• Historic reputation only

Cons

• How much time do you have....

Beware! These tents are rubbish and customer service with lifetime warranty to original owner! Ha! Doesn't exist!

The red poles especially will fail without warning, even when new! AVOID TERRA NOVA! You have been warned!

Welcome to Trailspace, Don. Do you have pictures you can share in your review so others can see the problems you're referring to? That could be very helpful for others.

1 year ago

Bought it on the reports for durability found on the…

Design: Geodesic dome
Ease of Setup: 15 minutes to peg out completely
Weight: 4.5 lbs
Price Paid: £435

Original Review: August 11, 2003 rated 5 of 5 stars

Bought it on the reports for durability found on the web. To start, I am really very very pleased with this tent; it's well designed and made, looks great, and is good return on the money. I've now had 12 months experience in heat, frost, and heavy rain—frost is best!

The tent gives confidence; it'll stand very heavy weather. Inside is bright and easy to keep clean with good pockets and small loops for hanging led lights on. Zips are strong, but can snag quite easily on the fly sheet fabric. Easy to keep ventilated, which I've found essential to avoid condensation. Woke up in Glen Etive to find the inside coated in frost as I'd not had the zips down.

Problems? It's a mountain tent designed without compromise for saving lives in bad weather—not the most convenient for overnight in the park. I'd like easier access and removable door panels with a wider top opening. Rain does drip from the peak onto the internal door and into the tent if the zips are not precisely placed. Undoing the fly zips from the bottom often resulting in a wet back; opening from the top means crawling over the door on the grass.

Materials are good, but I have questions about the pole sleeves which are fragile and susceptable to tearing when inserting the poles. Poles are great, precise and colour coded.

Highly recommended for tough camping. I love mine.

Gary

Update: April 5, 2017 rated 4 of 5 stars

Pros

• Small footprint
  • Great sense of security inside
  • Bright interior

Cons

• Poor ventilation in warm, still climes
  • Access doors could be designed better for non-Arctic locations

Wrote my original review (above) in 2003 and just saw a user write a hard critique. My son now owns my original Super Quasar as I bought a Hilleberg Nammtj 3GT to replace it. However, I was very disappointed with that tent and sold it after one season. I then bought another Super Quasar and remain delighted with it.

Still love it.

Thanks for the update on your Super Quasars, Gary. I've put your original review under your account as well.

I have been using this tent for the last four winters…

Design: 4 season geodesic design
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: 4,4 kg
Price Paid: 800

I have been using this tent for the last four winters in the Alps and in Scotland.

-It's an amazing tent, roomy enough for 2 with all the gear for winter. The two entrances are a must for winter, and you still have a lot of place inside.

-The set-up takes about 5 minutes, and no more than an extra 4 minutes in delicate conditions.

Poles and geodesic design is a must: it's incredibly stable even in winter conditions in the Alps. This tent gives a lot of confidence: at least you have a shelter when you come back form your line.

-I have it in red and I still don't understand the green color...?

-The fabric seem to be good and I have had no problems at all with rain and all sorts of snow conditions. I stock them unrolled, dry of course and let the poles unplaced so the elastics are not stressed.

-The groundsheet protector is worth buying: as with all tents, when you use them on rocks they break. It's an extra layer for minimum isolation and you could always use this sheet as an emergency cover.

-I guess you can sleep 3 but then all equipement has to be in the entrances- wich is not a good idea for winter conditions.

-I have only one regret about this tent: the entrances. They are not protected enough for the velcro closure at the top of the openings open easily in strong winds and snowstorm conditions. I had to improve them with pression system and larger velcro. If you really need a bigger entrance, then go for the Hyperspace from Terra Nova: it's a kind of a Super Quasar, but bigger!

Apart from that, it's an essential piece of my gear and I would buy it again -especially when you see the others having these ridiculous and unfairly expensive North Face tents made in Asia!!! If you need a 2 persons mountain/expedition tent, rough and tough, the "Super Quasar should be your choice.

R.

Bought to replace 13-year-old Quasar. Must have spent…

Design: 4 pole geodesic
Ease of Setup: Inner first, simple procedure, easier with 2 in strong wind
Weight: 4.4 Kg (9 lb 11 oz)
Price Paid: £420 (pounds sterling)

Bought to replace 13-year-old Quasar. Must have spent a year in total in the original tent, never leaked and withstood storms in Scotland, Norway and Alps. I've had the Super Quasar for about six months now:

1. Quality excellent, best fabrics, heavy but stormproof.

2. Slightly bigger than Quasar but heavy, 3 people and gear a squeeze - don't try it unless you have to.

3. Groundsheet seems lightweight compared to original neoprene coated nylon so bought groundsheet protector -- more hassle and weight.

4. The Super Quasar inner shape makes the porches smaller -- harder to cook without burning the thing down. When the door is more than slightly open at top, rain drips onto inner -- design fault?

5. Mesh pole sleeves stop that annoying drip of condensation I used to get at the top (better ventilation).

6. I've heard of problems with new style zips but have had no trouble personally.

Heavy, stormproof, the best materials, good customer service. You know it won't blow down or leak but then a Quasar won't either. Appears to have become the new darling of campsite posers. These people seem to be reproducing at a great rate in their Super Quasars and are another reason to avoid campsites and head for the hills. Perhaps Terra Nova could impregnate the tents with contraceptive to stop this menace.

With hindsight, I should have got the plain Quasar: lighter, bigger porches and strong enough. Tried a few tents over the years and for bad North European weather, Terra Nova are the best.

You'd better move over -- here comes a Super Quasar...

Design: 4 Season Exped. dome
Sleeps: 2-3
Ease of Setup: 10 mins - 5 if well practised (or rained on)
Weight: 4.2kg ish
Price Paid: £400 (beat that)

You'd better move over -- here comes a Super Quasar...

They don't really make tents this good, do they?

Indestructible, super ventilating yet warm (only roof level air is changed so you can sleep with top of doors open in howling gale). Splits easily between 2 or 3 people.

Acres of space for two people -- spending a whole day trapped in the tent in Scotland has never been so "pleasurable"?? Snug for three (especially with Steve's feet in your face).

Sorry, but if you're thinking of buying a TNF MTN25 -- don't. If you've just bought one -- swap it...quickly!

This really is the best tent for 2/3 people I've ever used.

Gripes -- If on unlevel ground the inner walls can be a tad exposed unless you are prepared to spend some time re-tensioning the fly.

Awesome, confidence-inspiring bit of kit. Pretty easy…

Design: 4 season expedition dome
Ease of Setup: 10 minutes in very high winds, 5 in normal
Weight: 4 kg
Price Paid: 410 pounds

Awesome, confidence-inspiring bit of kit.

Pretty easy to pitch; two of us did so in very high winds, at night. Once up and pegged down is rock solid, barely moves.

Large enough for two people with lots of gear, could sleep three quite easily.

Spent this last weekend in the Peak District (moorlands in northern-ish England), and suffered full gale-force winds and rain. At a campsite with 10 tents, the three Terra Nova tents really stood out as those handling the conditions perfectly.

In my humble opinion, this is the BEST 2-man mountain…

Design: 4-5 season geodesic
Ease of Setup: Fully erect in 10 minutes (ooer missus!). No real difficulties
Weight: 4.4kg
Price Paid: £414-£460

In my humble opinion, this is the BEST 2-man mountain tent in the world. Put it up at Sligachan on Skye (that's in Scotland), and you have the best, most sexy looking tent in a campsite that's full of the best of the rest.

I camped on the shore at John O'Groats, and in the morning the chap in the tent next to us said he'd not slept a wink because of the wind. I'm not a deep sleeper, but I didn't even notice the wind!

This tent is built like a brickhouse. There's nothing better than being able to trust fully the tent you're in, no matter what the elements throw at it, and that's the feeling I get with the Super Quasar.

With two people, it still has space to spare. It's got good headroom, and the porches are as big as you'd need. The doors open in all kinds of configurations. The fabric is absolutely excellent.

Everything about this tent is top quality.

My only gripes are:

The doors have stiffened storm hoods which makes getting in a little difficult.

It's a bit on the heavy side if you were backpacking alone.