Terramar SmartSilk Crew

I received this as a review giveaway, THANK YOU, Trailspace!!!

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Trailspace.com and Terramar)

Summary

I received this as a review giveaway, THANK YOU, Trailspace!!! This a very nice base layer. Very thin and stretchy, great for multiple layering. With the proper layering, these can be used almost year round. Skin tight, without compression. Medium is a great fit for slim built 5'10" 155lbs.

Pros

• Very comfortable fit
  • Not too warm
  • Great warmth to thickness

Cons

• Early pilling

I recently received this base layer as a giveaway, THANK YOU, Trailspace!!! This is an initial review...

I find this base layer extremely comfortable. They are lightweight, stretchy, and wick very well. They fit skin tight, however to not provide compression. They are thin as well, I plan on easily wearing these under an Icebreaker 260 base layer in very cold weather. I find these very breathable, and also wick well.

I'm very happy with the weight-to-warmth ratio, but this shirt was not designed as a stand-alone base layer for very cold weather. I find them not restrictive, making them ideal for layering/no binding. This shirt appears to be well made, however they have already begun to pill. Not necessarily a minus, but I've never experienced this BEFORE THE FIRST WASH. I would definitely be concerned if I bought these at $60 MSRP.

I have only used these in regular winter use, and day hiking, but fully expect them to perform well on a backpacking/winter sports trip. This base layer may very well deserve four stars, but I have to give it a couple seasons of use before I can accurately report durability.

If you've owned or used a Terramar SmartSilk Crew, please share your experience.

Terramar SmartSilk Crew

The Terramar SmartSilk Crew is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 21, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new base layer top, check out the best reviewed current models.