Terramar SmartSilk Crew

I received this as a review giveaway, THANK YOU, Trailspace!!!

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Trailspace.com and Terramar)

Summary

I received this as a review giveaway, THANK YOU, Trailspace!!! This a very nice base layer. Very thin and stretchy, great for multiple layering. With the proper layering, these can be used almost year round. Skin tight, without compression. Medium is a great fit for slim built 5'10" 155lbs.

Pros

• Very comfortable fit
  • Not too warm
  • Great warmth to thickness

Cons

• Early pilling

I recently received this base layer as a giveaway, THANK YOU, Trailspace!!! This is an initial review...

I find this base layer extremely comfortable. They are lightweight, stretchy, and wick very well. They fit skin tight, however to not provide compression. They are thin as well, I plan on easily wearing these under an Icebreaker 260 base layer in very cold weather. I find these very breathable, and also wick well.

I'm very happy with the weight-to-warmth ratio, but this shirt was not designed as a stand-alone base layer for very cold weather. I find them not restrictive, making them ideal for layering/no binding. This shirt appears to be well made, however they have already begun to pill. Not necessarily a minus, but I've never experienced this BEFORE THE FIRST WASH. I would definitely be concerned if I bought these at $60 MSRP.

I have only used these in regular winter use, and day hiking, but fully expect them to perform well on a backpacking/winter sports trip. This base layer may very well deserve four stars, but I have to give it a couple seasons of use before I can accurately report durability.