Teva Omnium

Got these shoes recently for an upcoming trip. My…

Materials: Inner soles use Microban - breakthrough tech in anti-foot funk built directly into the rubber - never washes out or off!
Use: Hking/Backpacking
Weight: 1.6 lbs (for pair)
Price Paid: $74.95 at Zappos.com

Got these shoes recently for an upcoming trip. My needs were:

All-terrain shoe adequate for hiking in hot and wet conditions, water-wear, and not stinking after wearing them for the first few days was a plus.

Other reviewers on other sites say that these shoes are very comfortable once you get past the initial break-in stage. I am still in the break in stage, and couldn't say conclusively. But my initial impressions are:
-look great
-fully adjustable (adjustment straps for top of heel, top of front part of foot, as well as a bungy cord with pressure clip for width of foot)
-wide width capable - I have a wide foot and these fit me width-wise fine

I am a full size US 10. I am glad I didn't get the 10.5. These are definitely true to size, and fit great.

My only two complaints:
-pair I got came with tiny rubber dots (not intentional dots, miniscule- but just noticeable enough to be annoying) on the inner sole. It could have just been my pair, but it appeared to be a result of the manufacturing process used to produce the sole. I took some sand-paper to them and was able to grind them down enough to the point where I was comfortable with wearing them (they initially were causing pain to the upper part of the sole on my left foot)

-I have bony protrusions on the outside part of my heels - the straps dug into those during a few initial test with these shoes, and really felt like they were rubbing my heels raw! I also own Sketchers Safari Sandals, and don't remember such irritation with them. But, like I said, I am still in the process of breaking these in, and it could be just that - once broken in they may act like a second skin - I don't know.

The Omnium is a new synthetic sport sandal from Teva…

Materials: rubber nylon
Use: beach, pool, well marked trails
Break-in Period: 2 weeks
Weight: not sure, pretty light

The Omnium is a new synthetic sport sandal from Teva designed to challenge the likes of other high performance sport sandals. This might lead some readers to ask, how does a company whose reputation is built on casual sandals compare to the industry leaders in performance. The answer is simple. They compare very well. Teva seems to have pulled out all the stops for this sport sandal. The Omnium is available in both leather and synthetic.

The model I wore was synthetic. The first thing I notice is that the Omnium is styled much like a cycling shoe. However the traction and high arch support quickly dispel the notion that this is some flimsy hybrid. The toe is protected by a rubber upper that’s attached to the top of the sandal guaranteeing your toes don’t hit the rocks.

Despite being a true sandal with nylon covering my instep, these sandals are very cool and comfortable even in the hottest weather. The straps on this sandal are simple to work. One goes around the heel and one across the instep. This 2 strap system is simple and sufficient for a comfortable fit.

Finally, the engineers at Teva who designed this sandal did a superb job using materials that dry quickly. Combine this feature with antimicrobial footbed and you have the Teva Omnium.

Priced at $80 the Omnium compares well with much more expensive sandals in the sport sandal market. It is entirely appropriate for the beach, a well marked trail, the pool, or a night out at the boardwalk. If you’re looking for an all purpose sandal that performs well in watery environments, Teva’s Omnium is stylish option that won’t hurt your wallet.

Tried TEVA Lava Falls and several Keen models. I purchased…

Use: kayaking
Break-in Period: none
Price Paid: $59.91 w/ tax

Tried TEVA Lava Falls and several Keen models. I purchased the TEVA Omnium 1/2 size larger to accommodate neoprene socks in the fall. The adjustable heal strap and adjustable instep strap along with the self tightening laces, also adjustable made the fit excellent. The shoe/sandal has a quick release buckle to allow easy on and off. The shoe has a sock neck for a snug fit. The footbed is very comfortable, better than the Keens, by my standards.

I purchased these for kayaking and they are great. Water empties quickly, they are surefooted and they dry fast. I picked the right shoe for water sport.

If you've owned or used a Teva Men's Omnium, please share your experience.