The North Face Alpha Tyrol

I just finished a backpack trip to Half Dome, Yosemite.

Design: Internal
Size: 4800-6200 ?
Number of Pockets: 3+top load and sleeping bag
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 11"
Price Paid: $365 on sale

I just finished a backpack trip to Half Dome, Yosemite. I wasn't sure about buying the North Face pack, but I really like it. As long as you get the pack set for your body it works really well. There are a lot of adjustments straps that really can make it fit great. It also has some nice qualities!!

For instance the detachable fanny pack has already built in waist straps. So you don't have to take the waist strap off the main and hook it all up. The fanny/top bag also has a nice zipper pocket inside the main pocket to put valuable in $$. The water bottle are comfortable, and the space for your head works great. When I was done hiking my shoulder didn't hurt at all. The only place that was a little sore was where the waist belt rubbed up agains the waistband of my shorts..:-)

Needless to say I am not going to take the pack back, even though it cost a couple hours of work. My friend had a Dana Design Arc Flex and I though I got a better deal. I hoped this helped a bit.

Good Luck!!
Chad

I've had a few packs in the past but nothing compares…

Design: internal
Size: 4200 - 6000
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 60lbs
Height of Owner: 5'9"
Price Paid: $530 canadian

I've had a few packs in the past but nothing compares to this Cadillac of packs without the weight. It is great backpacking and mountaineering over technical terain because it is so firmly stable to your back. The only problem is the price, but considering the performance, it paid for itself within a couple of trips. The North Face may cost a little more but you're definitely getting your money's worth in quality that lasts.

If you've owned or used The North Face Alpha Tyrol, please share your experience.

The North Face Alpha Tyrol

The Alpha Tyrol has been discontinued.

The North Face Alpha Tyrol is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.