The North Face Buckland Pants

Some really cool design ideas are partially overshadowed…

Summary

Some really cool design ideas are partially overshadowed by tiny, almost useless front pockets.

Pros

• Tough fabric
  • Reinforced cuffs
  • Rivets
  • Ventilated
  • Gusseted
  • Tripple stitched
  • Low rise

Cons

• Pockets are too small, no seriously WAY too small
  • Wrinkles are hard to iron out

I don't always wear cotton pants hiking but when I do, I wear TNF Buckland.

OK, so I'm not the most interesting man in the world but I try.

I really want to like these pants more because there is a lot to like. My one gripe below killed it though.

I picked them out because sometimes I need pants that can stand up to bushwhacking and scrambling better than nylon, which tends to snag on everything.  I know cotton is a nightmare when its wet but I live in a dry climate; when it rains, I stay home and only miss a few days a year.

These pants are made of triple-stitched, canvas-type cotton that makes a satisfying rustling sound when you walk.  The heavy duty material is great for days when I need to use my knees to get over rough granite and through spiny rabbit brush off-trail.  Nothing wears like these pants. The designers added reinforcements to the cuffs that I like too.

Someone at TNF had a good idea:
20130506_084700.jpg

I also love the gusseted crotch area on these which lets you take high steps without binding up.  Combined with the low-ish rise these pants take off-trail walking in stride.

Forgive me for not taking pictures but the crotch area also has another friendly feature; sewn ventilation holes, not unlike what you see in baseball caps.  Good air circulation down there is always welcome.

Time to gripe. My hands are not that big. They run about average.  My paws have a hard time fitting into these pockets and that bugs me a lot. Once inside the front pockets are roomy enough but the pass is narrow and I took away a whole star out of frustration. Yes, I can stow my garbage someplace else but I use these things a lot and to me, its a big deal.  Its the one thing that keeps me from really loving these pants.

These pants were on clearance too, so that helps me feel better about the pockets.

If another pant had all the features these do (maybe Kuhl pants?) without the pocket hassle, I'd wear them but until then, I'll stick with the Buckland.

Visit The North Face's Buckland Pants page.

Made with heavyweight-but-soft cotton canvas, reinforced seams and extra rivets at the pocket corners, the rugged Buckland Pants from The North Face are designed for years of use and abuse.

The heavyweight cotton canvas Buckland Pant from The North Face has the heft to play hard and the enzyme-washed softness to keep you out there in comfort all day long. Triple needle stitched seams, rivets at the pocket corners and kickpatches at the leg openings reinforce an already tough pair of pants. Two hand pockets and rear patch pockets keep your essentials handy while the self fabric hanger loop works great in the locker room.

- Mountain Gear

A rugged, heavyweight, enzyme-washed canvas pant that's not afraid to get dirty. Regular fit. Two hand pockets. Rear patch pockets. Inseam gusset for increased mobility. Center front shank closure. Rivets at pocket corners for reinforcement. Triple needle stitched seams. Woven label at inside waistband. Logo patch on rear belt loop. Kickpatch reinforcement at leg openings. Self fabric hanger loops. body: 295 g/m2 (8.7 oz/yd2) 100% cotton canvas / finish: enzyme washed and sand washed. Inseam: S 30", R 32", L 34". 580 g (20 oz).

- Rocky Mountain Trail

Our heavyweight canvas pants are constructed for seasons of use and abuse with reinforced seams and extra rivets at the pocket corners. A gusseted inseam increases your freedom of movement while checking out your local trails or kneeling down to change a flat tire. Available in your choice of short, regular, or long inseam lengths.

- The North Face