Weight 2 lb 9 oz / 1130
Comfort Range - 25° F / - 32° C

I've always been impressed with the quality and durability…

Summary

I've always been impressed with the quality and durability of the many North Face products I've purchased—many items that have lasted for years and countless uses. However, I too purchased the Chilkat style winter hiking boots and wore them only a handful of times resulting in what would be considered very minimal "wear & tear".

The boots appeared in mint condition the last time I put them on, but after taking a few steps, I noticed a trail of broken pieces of rubber crumbling off as I walked. Upon closer inspection, the whole lower rubberized section was splitting away from the upper portion, exposing the white inner lining through all the rotting/broken rubber, rendering the boots useless.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed that a product at that price point was so poorly manufactured and contemplated contacting The North Face to ask them to stand behind their products and customers...until I read on-line that so many have experienced the same defective product/materials with these particular boots and have received no recourse (only wasted their time and energy!) by contacting The North Face.

Very surprising that a company like the North Face doesn't admit the product is obviously defective and keep their customers satisfied?!

Pros

• Warm and comfortable while they lasted (for about 6-8 uses in total)

Cons

• Poor quality material used in manufacturing, particularly the rubberized portion. The rest of the materials used to construct the boots seems of typical good quality.

See above: rubberized portion of boots started breaking down and chunks were falling off and lower rubberized portion was separating from upper portion exposing white insulating under layer, rendering the boots useless obviously as they were no longer snow or waterproof.

This happened after only approx 6-8 very light uses. The boots appeared in mint condition until I started to walk in them and they began literally crumbling at my feet!

Sorry for your experience, Pop. Thanks for the review.

Welcome to Trailspace, Pop. Too bad about the boots.

FromSagetoSnow

Every review of these boots is a tale of disaster and woe. Sorry you got tricked into buying them.

I bought these boots four years ago and have worn…

Summary

I bought these boots four years ago and have worn them maybe twice a year. Today when I was walking up my front stairs to my door both of my boots cracked completely across the rubber part!

Pros

• Up until they fell apart they were pretty comfy.

Cons

• THEY FELL APART AFTER I WORE THEM ALL OF 8 TIMES!

I bought these during a NW snowstorm. I thought I'd treat myself to a nice boot that would keep my feet warm and dry for years to come, and they did, for a while.

We don't get a lot of snow here so they mostly lived in my bedroom closet. Dry, warm, good conditions for storing shoes, right? I guess not, because today I wore them out and watched the rubber upper part split apart before my eyes.  I am so disappointed.

I always thought North Face was a quality brand, but upon looking up the warranty it turns out that my boots are only covered for a year. So in conclusion, this is a great boot if you like to throw away your money.

Pop

Exact same experience with those boots for me. After about 6-8 uses, the rubber just started crumbling off as I walked and the lower rubberized area completely separated from the upper portion of the boots rendering them useless. Disappointed!

Bought these boots on clearance and stored them in…

Summary

Bought these boots on clearance and stored them in the box under the bed. First time they were worn they cracked all the way across the toe on both boots. Complete garbage!

Cons

• Fall apart after storing

Boots looked and felt great until I tried to wear them on my first winter trip. Both boots cracked across the toe.

FromSagetoSnow

that is terrible. I hope you can get a refund

Welcome to Trailspace, DLC. Too bad about your boots coming apart. Are you able to return them to the store you bought them at? It sounds like they had them for a while before selling them to you.

It seems like a lot NorthFace boots get horrible reviews. Glad I've never bought a pair.

FromSagetoSnow

I've seen this problem mentioned in several reviews of this specific boot come to think of it.

madmarmot

Keeping boots in storage is a mistake, the glue breaks down after about ten years and depending on location they have dry rotted before being used. These boots are great if used directly, they hold up to extreme abuse well, they get you home with warm feet, enough so to be used in a rental fleet for winter use in Colorado. The only drawback fro

madmarmot

seems to be folks keeping them in storage for extended periods of time.

Same problem :( All of a sudden I looked down while…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Same problem :(

Pros

• Warm

Cons

• Rubber splits apart

All of a sudden I looked down while carrying wood in and the toe of my right boot split apart as I bent my foot while walking!  I had previously raved about these boots to anyone and everyone. I loved the comfort and warmth. Sadly neither of those factors matter if you can't keep your feet dry - soooooo disappointed. :(

These boots just fell apart in storage in my closet…

These boots just fell apart in storage in my closet after almost no use. North Face calls that wear and tear. See the emails below to read their response. You decide if you want the same treatment.

From: Saimoom Ameen [mailto:Saimoom.Ameen@truealliance.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, 27 January 2011 10:30 AM
To: Stephen OBrien

Dear Mr. O’Brien,
Thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately as previously stated your product is out of warranty and a warranty claim cannot be raised.

Kind regards,

From: Stephen OBrien
Sent: Thursday, 27 January 2011 10:46 AM
To: Saimoom Ameen

Saimoon,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
It seems from your reply that The North Face considers it acceptable that their products have a very short life in a ‘storage environment’. The boots certainly did not experience any ‘build up in moisture over time’ whilst stored in a cupboard at home. What info do you provide about storage when you sell the product? I certainly was not aware that boots needed to have ‘access to fresh air’. Does the North Face ‘air’ the product prior to sale or keep them in a cardboard box??

I do not agree that a product that fails like this in a dry storage environment is not ‘defective in materials or workmanship’.

I request that you consider replacing them. I am sure there are forums on the internet where will readers and potential buyers will be interested in my experience.

regards
Stephen O'Brien

From: Saimoom Ameen [mailto:Saimoom.Ameen@truealliance.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, 27 January 2011 9:34 AM
To: Stephen OBrien
Cc: After Sales

Good Morning Mr. O’Brien,

Thank you for your enquiry in regards to your The North Face product.

To answer your question regarding warranty, all The North Face footwear is provided with a one year warranty, as after a year it is difficult to ascertain whether damages to the product is associated with manufacturing defects or wear and tear. As your product is over 3 years old it is no longer covered under warranty.

In relation to the issues you are experiencing with the product, from the pictures and descriptions you have provided we can determine the damage has occurred due to the shoes being kept in a storage environment for a prolonged period of time. The deterioration of adhesives and the oxidisation of material is a common occurrence when products are kept in a storage environment, where the product do not have access to fresh air and it’s components begin to fail due to the build up of moisture overtime. From the pictures it is quite evident that the product is now beyond repair.

This damage is not due to any defects in material or workmanship, and is a product of wear and tear in relation to the how the product had been used. Wear and tear is also not covered under warranty.

I hope I have been able to attend to your enquiry sufficiently. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Sent: Thursday, 27 January 2011 10:04 AM
To: After Sales
Subject: North Face Boots

Hi

My wife bought these North Face boots in Niseko, Japan three years ago. They were worn only a few times on that trip, and have been stored in a cupboard at our house since then. In storage, they have only been subjected to a normal interior environment.

A few weeks ago we were packing in preparation for our next ski trip. We were extremely disappointed to find the boots had fallen apart and are completely unusable. The rubber lower section appears to have become brittle and has separated from the leather upper.

Attached are photos to show the deterioration. One photo shows the sole to confirm that they have had effectively no wear at all. Ironically these boots are labelled ‘outlast’.

What is the warranty on these boots? Can they be replaced, and hopefully with a product that will withstand more than three years in a benign environment?

Regards,
Stephen O'Brien
DSC00524.jpg

rated 1.00 of 5 stars All Chilkats versions

In addition to the 5 women's reviews above, there are 15 reviews for other versions of the Chilkats. Read all reviews »