The North Face Double Headed Toad 44 BX

Floor Area 54 sq ft / 5 sq m
Number of Poles 4 diameter: 9 mm
Stuffed Size 24 in x 7 in / 61 cm x 18 cm
Vestibule Area 31 sq ft / 2.88 sq m

I backpack short mileage for 3-4 day trips with my…

Price Paid: bought it retail

I backpack short mileage for 3-4 day trips with my wife and two girls, 7 and 9 years old. After a few trips with two 3-person tents, I decided to try the Double Headed Toad to reduce weight and our collective footprint. Although we have only used it on one trip on the AT in Maine, I had to write and tell that it lived up to our needs and expectations.

The tent comfortably slept two adults and two children with plenty of room for gear. It was light enough to haul around on short trips (4-5 mountainous miles), and a much better alternative to carrying two tents. The Toad held back a hard summer rain well, but I am not sure how it would fair in fall or spring without testing it first. It is airy and cool, so probably best suited for summer trips.

The setup is easy and foolproof, and accessibility and gear stash are top notch. Both good things for family trips.

Beware that the Toad has a footprint that may be larger than some designated campsites on the trail. We had some trouble on a tent platform, but still fit it on with a little adjusting. I would also not prefer this tent for 4 full-sized adults, but I like a little extra room. Four smaller adults or a group including children fit very comfortably.

This tent fits our family needs and serves The North Face brand well.

This is not a review but a comment on a previous review.

This is not a review but a comment on a previous review. The tent can handle anything but snow. It is OK in cold weather if you and your bag (sleeping) are up for it. The BX at the end just means it came in a TNF box.

The North Face Double Headed Toad 44 BX

The Double Headed Toad 44 BX has been discontinued. It last appeared in The North Face's 2011 product line.

The North Face Double Headed Toad 44 BX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.