The North Face Double Headed Toad 44 BX

Floor Area 54 sq ft / 5 sq m
Number of Poles 4 diameter: 9 mm
Stuffed Size 24 in x 7 in / 61 cm x 18 cm
Vestibule Area 31 sq ft / 2.88 sq m

I backpack short mileage for 3-4 day trips with my…

Price Paid: bought it retail

I backpack short mileage for 3-4 day trips with my wife and two girls, 7 and 9 years old. After a few trips with two 3-person tents, I decided to try the Double Headed Toad to reduce weight and our collective footprint. Although we have only used it on one trip on the AT in Maine, I had to write and tell that it lived up to our needs and expectations.

The tent comfortably slept two adults and two children with plenty of room for gear. It was light enough to haul around on short trips (4-5 mountainous miles), and a much better alternative to carrying two tents. The Toad held back a hard summer rain well, but I am not sure how it would fair in fall or spring without testing it first. It is airy and cool, so probably best suited for summer trips.

The setup is easy and foolproof, and accessibility and gear stash are top notch. Both good things for family trips.

Beware that the Toad has a footprint that may be larger than some designated campsites on the trail. We had some trouble on a tent platform, but still fit it on with a little adjusting. I would also not prefer this tent for 4 full-sized adults, but I like a little extra room. Four smaller adults or a group including children fit very comfortably.

This tent fits our family needs and serves The North Face brand well.

My wife and I bought this tent used four years ago…

Source: bought it used

Summary

My wife and I bought this tent used four years ago and have used it many times since. It is the perfect tent, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Not for all seasons
  • Oddly shaped

We are a family of four—our boys are now 11 and 8—and our Double Headed Toad has served us well in a wide range of camping situations. It's so easy to set up that I trained the kids to do it, and they can have it pitched in a couple of minutes.

It has never leaked or succumbed to wind, and its mesh-based internal construction means condensation is a non-issue. Its two vestibules are perfect for storage and/or mess-free entry and exit.

The main thing we love about this tent, though, is its durability. We are entering our fifth summer with it, and the thing is still in perfect shape. Every zipper, clip, pole, and seam is in like-new condition—and we bought it used!

Seriously, we've put this tent through its paces, and it's held up like a dream. Here's to many more years of adventures.

Welcome to Trailspace, Todd! Thanks for sharing a review of your TNF tent with us. Sounds like you got a good deal.

1 month ago

This is not a review but a comment on a previous review.

This is not a review but a comment on a previous review. The tent can handle anything but snow. It is OK in cold weather if you and your bag (sleeping) are up for it. The BX at the end just means it came in a TNF box.