The North Face Orion

Max User Height 6 ft 0 / 183 cm 6 ft 6 in / 198 cm
Shoulder Girth 62 in / 157 cm 63 in / 160 cm
Hip Girth 58 in / 147 cm 59 in / 149 cm
Foot Girth 40 in / 102 cm 40 in / 102 cm

Lightweight and compressible sleeping bag that won't…

Summary

Lightweight and compressible sleeping bag that won't lose insulation if wet.

Pros

• Relatively lightweight
  • Compressible
  • Great price
  • Synthetic

Cons

• Snug fit
  • Zipper snags

I was looking for a sleeping bag comparable to the weight and compressibility of down, but with the ability to retain insulation when wet. Living in the Pacific Northwest (or NorthWet as some call it) I was worried about buying an expensive down bag and getting it wet, so I felt like synthetic would be a better choice for a climate known for rain. I found this sleeping bag on Backpacker.com, which was the bag of choice in their 2008 Perfect Sleeping Bag pacific Northwest, and I purchased it from REI soon after.

The North Face Orion is a 20 degree mummy bag with Climashield Neo insulation. I had never heard of Climashield before I found this bag and it's actually some really impressive stuff, at least according to Climashield and the U.S. military. I learned that Climashield, like Primaloft, was developed for the military for an alternative to down, which wasn't preforming well in the field. In fact Climashield is still the insulation of choice for the U.S military. Now I can't confirm any claims about it being the "most compressible, warmest, softest, most durable, water resistant and hypoallergenic insulation", but I can say that it works pretty darn well.

This bag has it all. It's light and packs down really small. As a matter of fact it compresses smaller then my hiking partner's Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 down bag. It actually leaves enough space in my backpack's sleeping-bag compartment, that I can put other items in with it. At 2 pounds 5 ounces it's not the lightest sleeping bag on the market. There are plenty of lighter 20 degree down bags, but some of them are outrageously expensive compared to $179 of the Orion.

The bag is very warm. I would say it's close to the EN rating of 23 degrees. Lately my girlfriend has been using it, and she sleeps warm in it as well. But I have to admit that I have had several chilly nights in this bag. It is rated at 20 degrees, and I have used it down to that temperature, but I was chilly. Not cold mind you, just chilly. Now, when I know the temps will be particularly cold, I bring a silk liner.

The bag is a pretty snug fit for my wide frame, but I've gotten used to it over the years and sleep pretty comfortably. The zipper sometimes snags. Mostly at night when I'm fiddling with it in the dark half-asleep. As long as I'm being careful, I usually don't have a problem.

For the price, this bag is perfect. It's light and compacts very small, and will keep you warm during the vast majority of your 3-season nights. The best part about it is that if you always hike in the rain, like I do, you can rest assured that the insulating qualities wont be ruined if it gets wet.

This bag is really nice and I am quite happy with…

Design: mummy
Fill: 600 fill down
Temperature Rating: 15 F
Weight: 2 lbs 15 oz
Price Paid: $89 on clearance

This bag is really nice and I am quite happy with it. Before this bag I have used traditional rectangle bags and a down mummy that is older than I am 23+, This bag has kept me warm I have been in snow on Mt Hood, in early/mid June and I was just toasty though it can get a little warm in during the warmer months but that is fine just unzip the bar a little.

Warm up your chilly fall, spring, and high-alpine summer camping trips with the Orion sleeping bag from The North Face. Rated to 20 degrees Fahrenheit, this toasty sack keeps you warm with high-loft, compressible PrimaLoft Infinity insulation and a thick draft tube at the face - but don't worry, this super-light design is perfect for your fast-and-light trips and packs down small.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

The North Face mummy back doesn't skimp on features while letting mountaineers and backpackers go fast and light. PRODUCT FEATURES: Full-length zip Shoulder-level zip pocket Sleeping pad retention loops Draft tube around face opening Heat transfer logos save weight Nylon mesh storage sack and siliconized nylon stuffsack included Shell: Ultralight 20D nylon ripstop shell Lining: 20D nylon lining Insulation: Climashield Neo insulation, a revolutionary, resilient, dual-density fill that boasts stellar heat-trapping characteristics. Temp Rating 20 F Total Weight: Reg - 2 lbs, 9 oz (1162 g); Long-2 lbs 13 oz (1276 g) Max User Height Reg: 72" (183 cm); Long: 78" (198 cm) Shoulder Circumference: Reg: 62" (157 cm); Long: 63" (160 cm) Hip Circumference: Reg - 58" (147 cm); Long: 59" (149 cm) Foot Circumference: Reg - 40" (102 cm); Long: 40" (102 cm) Stuffsack Size 7.5 in. x 13.5 in. (19 cm x 34 cm) LH=Left Hand zipper

- Appalachian Outdoors refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. The North Face Orion 20F Sleeping Bag (Fall 2010) FEATURES of the Orion 20 Degree Sleeping Bag by The North Face Ultralight 20D nylon ripstop shell and 20D nylon lining Full-length zip Shoulder-level zip pocket Sleeping pad retention loops Draft tube around face opening Heat transfer logos save weight Nylon mesh storage sack and siliconized nylon stuffsack included SPECIFICATIONS for Regular: Average Weight: 2 lbs 9 oz / 1162 g Stuffsack Size: 7.5in. x 13.5in. / 19 cm x 34 cm Temp Rating: 20 F Total Weight: 2 lbs 9 oz / 1162 g Max User Height: 72 in. / 183 cm Shoulder Circumference: 62 in. / 157 cm Hip Circumference: 58 in. / 147 cm Foot Circumference: 40 in. / 102 cm SPECIFICATIONS for Long: Average Weight: 2 lbs 13 oz / 1276 g Stuffsack Size: 7.5in. x 13.5in. / 19 cm x 34 cm Temp Rating: 20 F Total Weight: 2 lbs 13 oz / 1276 g Max User Height: 78 in. / 198 cm Shoulder Circumference: 63 in. / 160 cm Hip Circumference: 59 in. / 149 cm Foot Circumference: 40 in. / 102 cm This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Enabling mountaineers and backcountry explorers to go fast and light, the North Face Orion's lightweight, compressible design makes it a coveted bag for 3-season use.

- EMS refers to the men's version

From spring to fall, stay warm overnight in your outdoor paradise when you slither inside The North Face Orion Sleeping Bag. This highly packable 20-degree bag gets you through mild to chilly weather comfortably thanks to its Climashield Neo technology. With two separate layers of PrimaLoft Infinity insulation, the Orion vents soggy air while it locks out the cold air inside your tent. A draft tube around the face opening also stops the nighttime chill. Sleeping pad retention loops secure your pad beneath you so you don't wake up in a cold, hard place, and a zippered pocket at the shoulder holds your headlamp. Full-length zippers and a spacious footbox provide air and space for summer nights

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

The North Face Orion

The Orion has been discontinued.

The North Face Orion is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new 3-season synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.