What a great tent, but not much information or any…

Source: bought it used

Summary

What a great tent, but not much information or any reviews but one or two.

Pros

• Built like a brick house
  • Nice old school North Face care
  • Good happy yellow color

Cons

• Heavy
  • Crapy current NF lifetime warranty.

I picked this old bird up from a local Salvation Army for $5. It was a mess from poor storage and high mileage.

After giving it a bath and removing the duct tape from the hole in the fly and screen I sewed the screen and patched the fly hole. Rear door zipper was knackered and separating while zipping up, so the previous owner decided to sew all the way around the door to the tent body. This is an easy fix after taking all the thread out i simply took a pair of small needle-nosed vice grips and lightly pinched the rear of the zipper guide and all was fixed.

People need to know this trick when zipper guides get worn. It's a simple matter of tightening things back and your problem is solved. I have been given great condition tents at yard sales because the owners don't know how to fix this problem.

My tent has lots of dirt spots tiny specks of mildew, but all in all still in great working order, polyurethane coating is in great shape.. One of the small poles has a crack on two of the pole connection points. I may send it off to be fixed. I know NF won't honor their lifetime warranty like years ago, but so far it is holding fairly good considering its condition.

I haven't had it out in the rain yet, but had it in some cold windy conditions using my UCO candle lantern it knocked the condensation down to a nice dry climate. I can't seem to find much info on this NF model other than it was the smaller brother of the VE25, and it's built old school North Face.

If anyone has information please review this tent.

This is the tent I have and it's the only decent info that I have found:

Thanks for the review, Ramseybella! I'd love to see some pictures of your Oval-25 in your review. It sounds like a great $5 find.

Great find! I hope it works well in the rain.

Ramseybella

In my experience with these old tents the floor even if it doesn't look like it needs it, will need a coat of Gear Aid tent sure floor sealer. And the fly a can of ATSKO weather repellent. I have used Gear Aid Tent Sure on rain fly's and it works good. I haven't found anything that beats it. Wish they sold this product in quart containers, i use it a lot to restore tents. Didn't need to send it to North Face for zipper repair i just straightened out a couple teeth super glued the base of the tooth to the zipper fabric to keep them inline and waxed all the zippers. working good now, no hanging up or dragging zipper guide. Need to make a footprint next. Once i get it all together i will post some photos, it's not the best looking tent but if it functions and keeps the weather out that's what counts.

I'll look forward to the pictures!