The North Face Particle 13

Fast easy pitch, one person palace. Plenty of room…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Fast easy pitch, one person palace. Plenty of room for gear in the vestibule, decent venting.

Pros

• Strong pole design, quick setup
  • Color-coded idiot proof poles and tabs
  • Well ventilated for most conditions
  • Tall enough for people up to 6'4"

Cons

• Heavy for my taste for a one-man solo shelter
  • After extended periods fly wants to wet out
  • Fly door zipper snags easily

Have spent quite a bit of time in this tent, usually as a basecamp tent for climbing trips. Spent a week in Red River Gorge, four days ice climbing in Hyalite, camping in the Rockies and all around Montana, Kentucky, Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah.

Plenty of dry gear storage not only in the vestibule but in the tent. I was able to keep three different jackets, several gallons of water, headlamps, books, etc inside the tent body, using my climbing pack as a pillow, and a full base camp duffel of clothes, toiletries, water filter,  and sundries in the vestibule.

On a two-day trip to a hot spring in Idaho, we had quite a bit of rain, wintry mix, and snow and after a good two days of that the fly started to wet out and cling to the mesh walls, but only the breathability was affected; water never made it into the tent body.

All in all I've been pretty happy with this shelter, but I've since found a lighter option, although, alas, not as roomy. Excellent tent, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I recently used this excellent tent in a weeklong…

Design: 3 season 1 person shelter
Ease of Setup: very easy, even in high winds
Weight: under 4 pounds. including tyvek sheet

I recently used this excellent tent in a weeklong trek in Yosemite. Easy to set up and pack, light and sturdy. a little cramped during rain, but dry and warm.

Ventilation was ok, somewhat stuffy when the rainfly was on, but no condensation. Little details help such as the hanging loops and glow-in-the-dark tabs. I'd buy it again. Looking for the footprint but can't find it in the catalogs. I'll keep using my tyvek sheet. Other reviews emphasize setting it up with feet into the wind - I'd agree it would be more stable.

If you've owned or used The North Face Particle 13, please share your experience.

The North Face Particle 13

The Particle 13 has been discontinued.

The North Face Particle 13 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 15, 2007 at Altrec Outdoors.