I found the last year 09 shoes on sale 50% after buying…

Materials: soft shell, Hedgehog sole
Use: Life in the summer when sandals dont work
Break-in Period: soak em and wear them dry. 1/2 day.
Weight: dunno mens. womans was 1 oz lighter than Hedgehog...1lb 8 oz 7s
Price Paid: 69$CDN

I found the last year 09 shoes on sale 50% after buying some Nike Alvord 7 trail shoes that were also on sale. I couldn't resist. I have been using both over the last month for comparison, work and hike.

These Purgatories have the same chassis as the Hedgehogs, But they are of a shoft shell 3 layer material...

I like them. They keep my feet significantly cooler than any of my goretex lined shoes, and they are lighter.

I like my shoes/ boots for gardening (shovel work, wearing with REI desert gaiters) as well as hiking, Well, these TNF Purgatories certainly have a tough sole where the spade is struck. I killed a pair of 5 10 Ascents with a shovel coupla years ago (lol).

So, though I worry about the durability of the upper on the Purgatory, I have full confidence in the Vibram soles. They are comfortable, and mildly waterproof. Superb for the summer. Watch you don't catch a sole spine and trip.

The North Face Purgatory

The Purgatory has been discontinued.

The North Face Purgatory is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 11, 2010 at

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review