The North Face Single-Track Hayasa

A minimal shoe with out-of-the-box comfort, with race…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (Kept it)

Summary

A minimal shoe with out-of-the-box comfort, with race day durability.

Pros

• Out-of-the-box comfort
  • Stretchy laces
  • Fits narrow feet

Cons

• Outsole durability
  • Flexibility on the trail

The North Face seeded me a pair of these shoes because we were looking for sponsors for our trail running club. I was thrilled to try a pair of TNF's running shoes because I know how much tech and effort they put into creating them. Although I wasn't over the moon with its performance, I did find it to be adequate in other applications than the trail.

TNF is always really stoked about what kind of technology they are using, and the shoe is branded to death with "snake plate" and "heel cradle" as are most shoes. These techs are pretty neat in theory, but I didn't feel they were incredibly noticeable while running.

The snake plate is made like a winded coil through the midsole of the shoe, absorbing rocks and roots to allow an even strike on the ground. It was alright. I am aware that this is a "minimal" shoe (8m), and I am not a minimalist runner. I found the shoe to be very flexible while on the trail and my feet were not stable. I was always worried that I was going to roll.

The comfort of the shoe is fantastic on flat ground. I have a narrow foot and fitting my long, skinny foot is usually a challenge. This shoe fit like a dream right out of the box. It has some cushion so it rode very well running TO the trail. It is  very breathable as well. On particularly hot, humid days, my feet were not sweaty. Overall, it was a very comfortable shoe to wear.

Trails in the East Coast of Canada are often muddy and wet. There is honestly not a lot of grip on these shoes to begin with, especially under the midfoot. If you are running crusher dust or wood chips — run your heart out. On a muddy trail with some slippery roots, it was not my favorite. The uppers of the shoes fit well and flex well with my foot, but the outsole was ground up after about 12k of single track running.

My favorite part of this shoe was its stretchy laces. The laces sat well, holding my foot and never came untied. Bonus.

This shoe is great for someone who is looking to get into trail running. Maybe not doing a whole lot of single track (which is unfortunate, because that is the NAME of the shoe.) I found after running it 2-3 times a week for a few months, I retired it as my "kickin' around the park" or gym workout shoe.

Personally, I like a shoe with a biiiiit more rigidity on the trail, so this was not the way to go for me. I found it too flexible, and I was disappointed by the outsole's durability. This would be a great race day (road) shoe for someone, as it is light weight and extremely comfortable right away. I would just wondering about its outsole tearing up on asphalt even quicker.

Not a great trail shoe for me, but a great cheap gym shoe ('bout $100) and I would buy another for that purpose.

The North Face Single-Track Hayasa Running Shoes for MenThe North Face Single-Track Hayasa Running Shoes for Men gets you trudging outdoors in style, and keeps your feet comfortable. They are lightweight because of their minimal upper construction to reduce bulk, chafing and weight to help you stay nimble and swift. TPU welded overlays gives you a tight, supported fit. A low-profile EVA midsole gives you great cushioning and shock absorption while running. A Perforated Northotic footbed offers additional comfort for the underfoot. Tenacious Grip outsoles deliver amazing traction, when you're on rocky or uneven ground. Cradle technology gives the heel additional cushioning and stability. TPU Snake Plate technology protects the foot ,while you run on those rocky trails. For lightweight and agile performance, get yourself the North Face Single-Track Hayasa Running Shoes for Men.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version

Escape the concrete jungle with unbelievably lightweight support surrounding your foot: The North Face Men's Single-Track Hayasa II Trail Running Shoe. Designedto be a year-round door-to-trail runner, the Hayasa II uses a special Pebaxfoam technology to stay responsive through a wide range of temperatures. Builtwith Cradle technology, the Hayasa II provides cushioned heel support to keepyou on the trail longer.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. The North Face Men's Single-Track Hayasa II Shoe FEATURES of The North Face Men's Single-Track Hayasa II Shoe Upper: FlashDry collar lining wicks away sweat to keep you dry and reduces risk of getting blisters Track-spike-inspired upper Breathable mesh Suede support overlays 3M reflective tape for visibility Cradle technology for proper foot positioning Bottom: 15 mm/7 mm heel/forefoot EVA under foot Compression-molded EVA midsole with Pebax foam inserts in forefoot and heel for cushioning with less weight Blown rubber forefoot pods for lightweight durability Tenacious Grip rubber outsole on perimeter lugs for durability and traction SPECIFICATIONS of The North Face Men's Single-Track Hayasa II Shoe Approx Weight: 1/2 per pair: 8.8 oz / 249 g, pair: 1 lb 1 oz / 481 g This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Run faster on any terrain with a high-performance running shoe designed with an ultralight, seamless upper construction that doesn't sacrifice protection. Cradle Guide technology in the midsole enhances impact control during foot strike and provides a stable platform throughout your stride. Lightweight EVA midsole cushioned with Pebax performs consistently in cold temperatures and offers exceptional rebound for a better energy return. Tenacious Grip outer sole lugs gain traction on both wet and dry surfaces for improved control.

- The North Face refers to the men's version

Run faster on any terrain with The North Face Single-Track Hayasa II, a high-performance running shoe designed with an ultralight, seamless upper construction that doesn't sacrifice protection. Cradle Guide technology in the midsole enhances impact control during foot strike and provides a stable platform throughout your stride. Lightweight EVA midsole cushioned with Pebax performs consistently in cold temperatures and offers exceptional rebound for a better energy return.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version