The North Face Squall

Actually, I wanted to rate it 3 and a half stars,…

Design: mummy
Fill: synthetic polarguard
Temperature Rating: 20 Farenheit
Weight: 3lbs.
Price Paid: $79 (closeout)

Actually, I wanted to rate it 3 and a half stars, but it wasn't an option -- hey Trailspace?? I bought this bag for the price and temp. rating; and it hasn't dissapointed, especially for the price.

The pros: CHEAP!, is rather lightweight, stuffs up rather nicely, insulates well when wet, and keeps me warm down to freezing.

The cons: below freezing you need fleece, a little tight around the midsection, limited loft.

Overall an extremely cheap, 3-season (early-mid spring and fall) backpacking bag that will keep you happy; but don't forget your fleece layers or liner when the temp. dips below freezing or you'll end up dissing this bag like others have. It's not a serious mountain bag; it is what it is, if you push it, be prepared and you'll like it! Also, it's so CHEAP you can buy some Arc'teryx with the $$ you saved.

I've used a pair of these bags for around two years.

Design: Mummy
Fill: Polarguard Synthetic
Temperature Rating: 20
Price Paid: cant remember, but it was good

I've used a pair of these bags for around two years. I absolutely love them! While they aren't the highest tech bag, and they don't pack down to a bread loaf, they are comfy, quick to dry, and have kept me warm, even in temps under the recommended value. The build quality is good, standard North Face quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these if mine ever died. I have a right and a left, and they are easily mated. I do wish there was a tad more fill, but for the price, you can't beat this bag. Great for budget minded hikers & campers!

Jim Jamesson
groovyadventures.com

As a cold sleeper, I can only use this bag on nights…

Design: mummy
Temperature Rating: 20 degree

As a cold sleeper, I can only use this bag on nights 40 degrees and above. For that purpose it is great. I tried this bag during one below freezing night and I thought I might lose a few toes. Other 20 degree bags insulate better, but for the price it's a nice bag and holds up well against wear and tear.

This bag is terrible. In 50F temps, I need a blanket…

Fill: polarguard
Temperature Rating: 20F

This bag is terrible. In 50F temps, I need a blanket liner. In 30F temps, I need to put another bag inside it. Forget this one -- I'm moving on to down and staying away from TNF.

If you've owned or used The North Face Squall, please share your experience.

The North Face Squall

The Squall has been discontinued.

The North Face Squall is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new 3-season synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.