The North Face Terra 50

Very adjustable, good weekend pack. This is a great…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Very adjustable, good weekend pack.

Pros

• Fits well
  • Very tough
  • Seperate sleeping back compartment

Cons

• Hard to strap a tent to

This is a great weekend pack, but never honestly tried it longer than that. Very comfortable and adjusts easily. The pack stands up well to abuse (ex. scraping on rock faces). I would definitely recommend.

This bag was awesome, as an eagle scout I think I…

Number of Pockets: 3, one on top, two on sides
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'11

This bag was awesome, as an eagle scout I think I survived Philmont with it. This means 60 lbs. of gear, 12 days on the trial.

Other critiques are correct, the bag lacks an adequate place for strapping a tent on, but that is one of its only downfalls.

The only other issue I have with it would be the large side pockets. Normally side pockets are split, 2 and 2 on each side, which allows compartmentalization of gear. This bag has two so you may have unlike types of gear mixed up in the same pocket. ie. firestarters, and bird-calling equipment.

Hope this helps. This is a great soft bag though!

I had purchased this pack for my wife a couple years…

Design: Top Load Internal Frame
Size: 50L 3050 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 5
Max. Load Carried: 48 LBS
Height of Owner: 6'1"

I had purchased this pack for my wife a couple years ago for hiking in Porcupine Mts. in Michigan's Upper Penninsula.

As it happens instead of my wife carrying the pack my son did. He was loaded up with about 48 lbs. of gear. The pack was pretty well packed out and he commented that it rode fine. At that I felt we had made a good purchase.

I got the chance to try the pack this winter on a weekend camping trip snowshoeing into the back woods.

My impressions of this pack are pretty much are as follows:

Pros: slim profile, well constructed, the materials all seem to be durable, easy to adjust for different size people, sleeping bag hatch with divider, bellows pockets are very nice, they give storage options and yet fold out of the way when not needed.

Cons: The top lid is sewn to the pack so it can't be adjusted up evenly when you over-stuff the bag, could use one or two hip belt pockets for small handy items.

I had about 45 lbs. in the pack and it rode very well. It was easy to adjust even when moving. I used the pack the first day and switched with my son on the second day to try his pack out, a Jansport Carson External another review, another good pack.

I would recommend this pack to anyone needing a very versatile pack that can go from day trips to about 3 days max.

This pack is great for up to two nights, any more…

Design: Top-loading, internal frame
Size: 3000 cu in
Number of Pockets: 3, one on top, 2 water bottle pockets on side
Max. Load Carried: 75 lbs
Height of Owner: 6' 2"

This pack is great for up to two nights, any more than that you might have trouble fitting everything. The only complaint that I have is the lack of convenient place for strapping on a tent.

The North Face Terra 50 is a very comfortable pack.

Design: Top loadiing
Size: 3200 ci
Number of Pockets: 5
Max. Load Carried: 30 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'1"

The North Face Terra 50 is a very comfortable pack. I was going to do some local overnight camping after not having backpacked for 20 years, so I was looking for something smaller than some of the big rigs I had seen.

I went out for a winter camp in a local state forest with a friend and my son. The pack is a little small for going more then overnight, but the outside lashing points held both my Therm-A-Rest pad, and my old (read big) tent. On the first day I had the tent on one side and the pad on the other which was unbalanced, still I was able to adjust the straps to make the load comfortable.

There is a fold-down lumbar support that acts as a sitting pad when taking a rest...very nice. The overall comfort and adjustablility was great, I'm looking forward to more trips.