The North Face Valkyrie Jacket

I searched long and hard to find this jacket and eventually…

I searched long and hard to find this jacket and eventually found it as a run-out from Backcountry for $70! Fortunately the size (m) and colour (tan/orange) was what I wanted so no second thoughts regarding purchasing.

I have had the jacket for about a year and have had 3 occasions to really test its water resistance. On each occasion I have been in mild to fairly heavy showers, but not pouring for a maximum of 45 mins. The jacket has kept me dry continuously although on the last downpour I was getting damp in my upper back which was starting to make my base layer wet, but this is pretty good for a middle of the road soft shell.

Breathability is OK and I am able to get a tight fit with the hood, so well done!

My only 2 gripes are as follows: 1) When wet the jacket becomes heavy and takes some time to dry, 2) the velcro cuffs with the male pile scratch your butt when you go to the toilet...If I had an extra $100 to spend on full retail I'd look at something from Arc'teryx but this is a pretty solid purchase.