The North Face Vario 23

Trail Weight 3 lb 15 oz / 1.8 kg
Total Weight 4 lb 5 oz / 1.97 kg
Floor 50 Denier, 270T Nylon Taffeta Coated with 3000 mm PU
Vestibule Area 6 sq ft / 0.6 m2 (Front), 6 sq ft / 0.6 sq m (Rear)
Stuffed Size 24 in x 7 in / 61 cm x 17 cm
Number of Poles 3
Pole Diameter 9.6 mm, 9.0 mm
Canopy Fabric 33 Denier, 244T Nylon with Silicone and 1500 mm PU
Capacity 2
Area 32 sq ft / 3.0 sq m

Great light 2 man backpacking tent. Easy set up and…

Price Paid: 180

Summary

Great light 2 man backpacking tent. Easy set up and great durability

Pros

• Extremely light
  • Easy Set Up

Cons

• Not a lot of ventilation

Great backpacking tent. It is extremely light, and very easy to set up. It sets up by a series of snaps and a short pole across the top of the tent. It is a very stable tent, but you need to stake down the front and back vestibule for it to become taught. This was my very first tent I bought when I was 14, and now 4 years later, it is still water proof and no rips or tears. Because the tent is very light, you will not have a ton of room in the tent, but you will be able to sit up in it. There is plenty of room in the vestibules for 2 packs and any other gear from your trip The only downside is that that because it is a single wall tent, there is not a lot of room for ventilation, But if you leave the vents open you will be fine. Awesome tent, highly recommended if you can still find it.

I have used this tent over a dozen times in the last…

Design: 2-person, 3 Season, single wall, dome
Ease of Setup: So easy a walrus could set it up
Weight: I believe it is under 4...maybe 3lb 10oz?
Price Paid: $100 @ REI

I have used this tent over a dozen times in the last year. It has worked great. It is super light, fast on a setup, and has plenty of space for 2.

However, my main complaint has been the condensation that builds on the interior. I realize this is an issue with single walls, but it is irritating. This has been the main complaint on reviews from other sites.

The real test will be this weekend in the Smokies, it is gonna be wet. I will let you know how she holds up on a true field test.

I bought this tent with backpacking in mind. Due to…

Design: Single Wall, Exoskeleton with DAC reverse combi poles
Ease of Setup: I can set this tent up in 60 seconds
Weight: in the 3 lb. range
Price Paid: $99.99 new from REI

I bought this tent with backpacking in mind. Due to its compression and weight it seemed perfect (not to mention I found it for $100 new at REI).

This tent is super light, and literally sets up in a snap, which has been great on nights I have made camp after dark. Me and my girlfriend share the tent and have plenty of room. I was originally planning on buying Marmot's Twilight. However I am very happy with my Vario.

My only complaint would be condensation build up on the interior walls in the morning. If it had less condensation I would have given it a 5. But it is still an awesome tent.

I bought this tent mainly for three-season backpacking…

Design: three-season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Vey quick and simple
Weight: very light under 2kg

I bought this tent mainly for three-season backpacking and it certainly has lived up to my expectations. It's extremely light weighing just under 2Kg and is very quick to pitch. There is more than enough room in both porches to keep gear but not enough room to cook. The tent sleeps two easily but condensation can build up very quickly even though there are ventilation holes at the top.

The tent is certainly very waterproof because I have had a flooded bog underneath the tent and the tent completely held out. I would highly recommend this tent to a backpacker who wants to travel light but make sure that the rucksack is wide enough to fit the 2ft long tent bag in the rucksack

The North Face Vario 23

The North Face Vario 23 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.